brand new rebuild, now white smoke

87_7MGTE

SOLD :(
Mar 30, 2005
Bellingham, WA
well i just got done doing a rebuild after i got a bhg a month ago. after replacing all the bearings and gaskets, i put in a set of full ic hardpipes. last of all, i had the head and block hot tanked, both surfaces machined for a MHG. slapped an HKS 1.2mm MHG on and torqued it down to 90 ft/lbs with ARPs. bypassed the TB and ISC coolant lines, and an oil catch can while i was at it. after we got the engine in, everything hooked up, and everything primed, i started it up.

day1: ran it for like 30 seconds, it ran well except for a huge vac leak and a tiny oil leak in the oil filter relocation line, called it a night since it was late

day2: fixed vac leak, fixed oil leak in line, started it up, white smoke started to come out tailpipe, and it got progressivly worse to the point where it is now billowing. temp stays at normal once at operating temp, oil pressure stays the same, water level in radiator stays the same.

i have no idea what is going on. i checked and double checked and triple checked everything. i really dont know where water could be coming from. could anyone please help with this? its really hard to see the car like this when so much went into it, when it appears back at square one. :sadwavey:

thanks in advance everyone

Mr. Y

Mar 31, 2005
80 miles away from Kremlin
Well, don't panic!
If you have done everything in right way, do a compression test.
May be white smoke is just water, that stayed in exhaust (condensate) and white smoke will go away soon. But do a compression test anyway!

e90suprat

Mechanically challenged
May 8, 2005
Douglasville, GA
I had the same thing happen with mine after my bhg, and I've heard alot of other people having that happen. It will more than likely stop after you drive it for a few miles.

87_7MGTE

Mar 30, 2005
Bellingham, WA
oh yes, sorry, i totally meant to mention that in my first post, but the front plate was machined with the block. does putting a load on the engine help get rid of this smoke?

87_7MGTE

Mar 30, 2005
Bellingham, WA
ive ran the car for about 20-30 minutes, and its still just billowing out the exhaust. i really dont know what it could be at this point.

crf_rider

Apr 23, 2005
Portland, OR
Did you put synthetic oil in the engine? Some (all?) synthetics will blow white smoke if you are burning oil. That would be my guess if your water level is not going down. As to where the leak is coming from, that will be the hard part. As was suggested do a compression test before you start it up again.

Good luck!

87_7MGTE

Mar 30, 2005
Bellingham, WA
dino oil, as it is on a fresh rebuild

ive been reading on the forums all morning, could tons of white smoke have to do with the catch can? right now i have both valve covers routed into the catch can, could that create that much white smoke somehow?

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
No, the catch can is unlikely to cause smoke of any color.

The only things that can cause smoke are burning liquids - too much fuel from running rich, coolant or oil leaking into your cylinders and burning, oil leaking into your turbo and burning.

aye mate

Hiatus over.
Mar 30, 2005
Maryland
Does the catch can have a vacuum line hooked up to it? I know when I plugged my PCV lines it would suck oil into the motor on vac. and blow smoke like crazy. BTW this also blew my cam seals in short order. I'm not sure how catch cans work exactly, so I'm just throwing that out there.

e90suprat

Mechanically challenged
May 8, 2005
Douglasville, GA
As long as you have good oil pressure, you need to go out and drive the car around a little, just letting it run in the driveway wont burn off all the deposits from the rebuild. Like I said earlier, mine did the exact same thing, once I drove it around a little, the smoke went away.

87_7MGTE

Mar 30, 2005
Bellingham, WA
well i have fixed the white smoke, but now there is a little bit of blue (oil) smoke coming out. as far as i have noticed so far, its only been at idle or if i rev it up a little, but not while driving it. what could this be from?

Boostedstr8six

I have better SA than you
Mar 30, 2005
Near Columbia, the river
What fixed the white smoke problem? Cool you got it fixed though. The blue smoke could be a few things. What kind of shape is the turbo in? It could also be something wrong with the rings....like not seated or end gaps not set correctly.

crf_rider

Apr 23, 2005
Portland, OR
87_7MGTE said:
well i have fixed the white smoke, but now there is a little bit of blue (oil) smoke coming out. as far as i have noticed so far, its only been at idle or if i rev it up a little, but not while driving it. what could this be from?

Probably just need to break the engine in. What fixed the white smoke?

87_7MGTE

Mar 30, 2005
Bellingham, WA
oh, sorry guys for not saying what fixed it. it was in fact the pcv system and catch can routed wrong :slap: so i put the stock hoses back in. the engine has now had a runtime of about 45 minutes, and there is still a little smoke. the gaps on the rings are set pretty damn close too.

edit: could a mal-functioning pcv system make the rings leak, and would the rings still leak after the pcv is unclogged? just trying to figure out why it is burning oil now

Last edited: