Clutch problem on 5speed swap

jensonl

Broke college student
Apr 6, 2005
Fresno,CA
Car Spec: All stock turbo hardtop, except for 5speed swap no manual ecu, and k&n air filter.

Background: When i first installed did the swap this never happened before except for once and it went away and until recently.

Problem: You can hear clicking/rattles coming from the transmission. When i step on the clutch just to give it the minimal amount of pressure it goes away. During driving with windows rolled up and radio off, i can hear it clicking/rattling(sp?). Today, i jacked it up, and took the inspection plates off and noticed that the clutch release bearing hub is loose. Like if i jiggle it, it would probably make the sound i'm trying to describe at 2.5k to 3.0k rpms.

Question: Is the clutch release bearing hub SUPPOSE to be loose, or is it SUPPOSE to be tight with the assembly, including everything from snap rings to wave ring to pressure plate? If it is suppose to be loose, the only way that i can think of is that I will need to adjust the clutch pedal? or is there some other way?

Thanks

jensonl

Broke college student
Apr 6, 2005
Fresno,CA
Idealsupra said:
did you replace the throwout bearing when did the swap?

Yes, i did replace the throwout bearing

shaeff said:
and check your tranny oil level.

-shaeff

I went from mobile 1 to RedLine mt90 i put in 3 1/2 bottle, but i'll check it again.

jensonl

Broke college student
Apr 6, 2005
Fresno,CA
souprat said:
how did your snap rings look? cracked or warped or anything like that? i'm pretty shure mine was not loose.

My snap rings didn't look cracked or warped at all. But i'm starting to think that it might be my wave ring. Does anyone know how it should look like new verus used??

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
my w58 had the same symptoms when all the gear oil leaked out. pressed the clutch in, no noise. let clutch out in neutral, noise.

-shaeff

Supra Blues

Virgin Booster
Mar 30, 2005
Supramania
My w58 had similar issues but my tranny was full of gear oil.

The release bearing was real loose and the metal clip that held it on was really loose. I took it all apart and modified the clip so that it would hold the release bearing tighter against the clutch fork.

No more rattling.