Anyone else got classic plates?

grsupra87

Let's go Pens!!
Just curious...I live in Pa. and I got a classic plate for my MKIII. Advantages are one lifetime registration fee ($112), no emissions restrictions, and best of all, my insurance is full coverage ($4000) for $11 a month. Anyone else go this route?

Charlie97L

Jul 16, 2005
Clarksburg, MD
well then technically, you couldn't pass the inspection needed to get the classic thing... if i recall tho, if you drive it over the milage allowd, you get taxed/fined heavily. i looked into this as an option to register my GT-Four, but one trip to atlanta for NOPI and that's practically done your mileage for the year.

I

itr206

I can tell you there is a loophole in the mileage thing in the PA rulebooks. My neighbor works for Penndot on the commisioning commitee for the new laws and shit and told me some of the loopholes.
He is a Hotrod guy, so he tries to help keep the laws workable so he can drive his cars too. lol

M

Makavelli

I tried, but Colorado requires the car be 25 years old. Then you only have to get emissions tested every 5 yrs instead of every year.

I

itr206

Troyota said:
Trailer it...the only loophole...but for those savings....I'd trailer it...

Nope, Id have to look at the ruling, but it was something that you could only drive it a a certain amount of hours a month or something, but it didnt say it had to be at one shot. Shit I gotta dig it up. But it was very loosely quoted in the ruling.

grsupra87

Let's go Pens!!
no, you guys are way off. In Pa. there IS NO MILEAGE RESTRICTION. The code says you can drive it for "parades, car shows, and OCCASIONAL personal use, but there is no mileage restriction, and no check anyway. There is only the one time registration fee. Requirements are:
1). Must be more than 15 years old
2). Must be out of production
3). Must be ESSENTIALLY stock.
I have 3" exhaust, Ractive tail, and FIPK.
When you send in the form, and your $112 you must send 4 fotos, front, back, both sides. Thats it...got my plate in one week. Note however, that some insurance companys will place a mileage restriction, but mine (State Farm) does not. It really is a great thing to do.