?s about my new supra

F

fluff

Hi I just picked up an 87 supra for next to nothing... I'm not sure what I'm going to do with it because I'm not that familiar with supras. I have always been a big fan of supras and toyotas in general, especially the tacomas. The car is right hand drive and in good shape. The dash is still apart... the swap was never completed but all the parts are there except for I'm sure a few dozen nuts/bolts. The breaks/clutch is hooked up and the right hand drive rack is installed and supposedly everything works... but it has no motor so no way to tell for sure.

So, needless to say I have some questions. First, how hard is it to get a new right hand drive rack and pinion for it if I need one? Do the racks ever go bad on these cars? And same for the rear end and 5 spd? Are they easily fixed/rebuilt if they go bad or do you end up belly up after those types of failures? I am considering either swapping a 3rz from a taco into the supra (let the flames begin) or swapping the rear, tranny and wheels with a mini pre-taco and selling off the supra body/chassis. Would there be much demand for it if it weren't rolling?

I'm open to ideas and appreciate any input.

F

fluff

How much do these cars weigh? Thanks for the quick response! I just wanted to make sure I didn't have to speak Japanese to order one if I needed it :1zhelp:

SupraMario

I think it was the google
Mar 30, 2005
The Farm
fluff said:
So, needless to say I have some questions. First, how hard is it to get a new right hand drive rack and pinion for it if I need one? Do the racks ever go bad on these cars? And same for the rear end and 5 spd? Are they easily fixed/rebuilt if they go bad or do you end up belly up after those types of failures? I am considering either swapping a 3rz from a taco into the supra (let the flames begin) or swapping the rear, tranny and wheels with a mini pre-taco and selling off the supra body/chassis. Would there be much demand for it if it weren't rolling?

I'm open to ideas and appreciate any input.

like GrpA said for the right hand drive, they fairly easy to get but, u chances of you haveing to get one are slim to none. fixed and rebuild is fairly simple, but time consuming, the headgasket on these cars is the only problem, get a cometic metal head gasket and u wont have any problems out of the car as long as it is regulary maintained. rear end 5 speed easy to find. 3rz in the supra GL, better off puting a 1jz or a 2jz in the car. if your car has LCD which it prolly does the y take it out and swap it into a taco? the suppension in our cars was/had the help of lotus engineers design it.
and not much if it isnt rolling.
also sence its RHD could you post pics. see if it is a Grp A.:biglaugh:

F

fluff

I appreciate all the advise guys.. there are a few reasons I want to do this to a taco. I want something that goes in a straight line very fast, something that I can use to move furnature, and something that will get good gas milage. I especially like the idea of maybe being able to put down ~400 horse on a daily basis in a 2500 lb truck.. the supra rear and tranny would have no problem standing up to this type of abuse if I'm not mistaken.

Would it be safe to say that the tranny/rear would handle more power in the truck than the supra because it's ~1000 lbs lighter? How much hp/tqu will this setup withstand in a supra? If I end up doing this, does anyone want the rest of the car? I love supras but think for what I'm looking for this swap would be a good one. Come on guys, it's still a toyota and think of how much fun you could have with it. You would suprise the hell out of people!