NOVICE drag runs

jt2ma71

Impeller Head
Mar 30, 2005
Washington State
www.cardomain.com
Wednesday night, went with a few MKIV guys. My best that night was the first run, at 12 psi boost, letting off a bit in 2nd because of tire spin. Next runs were just hitting boost cut at 5K rpm( i raised the boost setting), cutting fuel and ignition, slowing the car down big time. All runs were with easy first gear rolls. Have fun. Opinions, suggestions are welcome. Ron

video

aye mate

Hiatus over.
Mar 30, 2005
Maryland
I was gonna say...Ron's numbers definitley merit 11's. Still very impressive. Does that MKIV have your wheels?

chevyeater

wastegate hose is pulled
Mar 30, 2005
Long Island, NY
I couldn't d/l it for some reason but I must say, if you put up a vid of your car running a slower than expeted time, kudos Ron. Nobody makes a perfect pass the first time out. It takes a pair to put that video up so the kids can see nobody is perfect (+ get another look at your awesome mk3 ;) ).

jt2ma71

Impeller Head
Mar 30, 2005
Washington State
www.cardomain.com
Yeah, I wasn't gonna wait 'til it's in the 12's or 11's before I post. Dragging is new to me and this is how I start :) I'm not saying I will keep trying 'til I get what people expect. I just want see what I can do and merely sharing :)
My car weighs ~ 3700 lbs with me in it and a full tank of gas last I weighed it. I still couldn't believe it so it could be wrong. It was one of those weigh stations in Canada.

--Ron

P

Pokey

mine weighed 3695lbs w/o me with pretty much an empty tank, and a few miscellaneous items in the car, this was a sacramento raceway park

jt2ma71

Impeller Head
Mar 30, 2005
Washington State
www.cardomain.com
Actually, when we converted the numbers, we came to almost 3800 lbs! I still don't want to believe it that I want to weigh it here in US. BTW, I had: spare tire, laptop, car cover (heavy one) and other stuff in the car when I ran :) Not making excuses but just saying the car was/is heavy!

stevevangst

1000HP club
May 24, 2005
tulsa
jt2ma71 said:
Figgie, I might try that next time :D

ONE very good advise, HEAT THEM TIRES UP, why do you guys always go around the water or hvt's, they are intended for you to heat your tires up, not for you to go around it, even with street tires you need to, and even if you had drags or slicks on your car, it wont make a differents because your not even launcing the car, your car sure wants to go fater but your not letting it, launce the car dont just take it off like you would at a stop light :)

heated tires+good lauching=good 60ft times

One time we put some bfg's street tires not drag tires onto a stock mk3 and got an 1.9's 60 ft out of it, the car was bone stock, and we did 14.9's. :)...

good luck to you.....have you seen my videos yet? if you haven check them out.

Steve

88turboma71

el3men2
Mar 30, 2005
nyc
well, i weighed my car with me in it and it was 3854 with me in it and i weigh about 175 that was with about a little over a 1/4 tank of gas in it and spare tire auto lock, and other stuff in it. and mine is a 88 targa turbo with leather.
manual trans.

3854-175=3679 god damn these things are heavy, i am praying that mine does not gain weight after the build.

Mello

Apr 13, 2005
CT
Ron, the first time I went to the strip I made about 6 consistant 14.x passes before someone gave me some advice :D. It's harder than it looks, but is so much fun. I can't wait to get back to the track w/ a car.

1TuffSupra

Sho' Nuff
Jul 11, 2005
Raleigh, North Carolina, United States
stevevangst said:
ONE very good advise, HEAT THEM TIRES UP, why do you guys always go around the water or hvt's, they are intended for you to heat your tires up, not for you to go around it, even with street tires you need to, and even if you had drags or slicks on your car, it wont make a differents because your not even launcing the car, your car sure wants to go fater but your not letting it, launce the car dont just take it off like you would at a stop light :)

heated tires+good lauching=good 60ft times

One time we put some bfg's street tires not drag tires onto a stock mk3 and got an 1.9's 60 ft out of it, the car was bone stock, and we did 14.9's. :)...

good luck to you.....have you seen my videos yet? if you haven check them out.

Steve

You should only heat up your tires if you are running slicks and maybe drag radials (but definitely not much with drag radials). For street tires you should just be chirping the tires just enough to get all of the dirt and rocks out of the treads. This is simply because street tires are not designed to withstand the increase in temperature and will actually decrease the available grip rather than increase it. SCC did a whole article on it about a year and a half ago. Take it from me I used to drag race my fwd NA eclipse and was running 15.4s with an intake and exhaust (and that was on an uphill track) and was cutting consistent low 2.2s and some high 2.1 60' times on the stock eagle rsa tires

On a side note, jt2MA71 when I was searching for another project car I found your car domain page and that is what made my mind up to get a mk3. Your car is stunning, keep up the good work.

Last edited: