Thoughts on R32 Golf.

aye mate

Hiatus over.
Mar 30, 2005
Maryland
A guy at my work just got one and said he would run me one day. I'm looking forward to it and have been doing some research about the cars. Pretty much they are a little slower than the EvoVIII and STI crowd. Stock Road and Track tested one and ran a 14.1 quater mile. I will try to video us racing. From a dig and maybe a 40 roll and 60 roll. Depending on his driving skills he could beat me in the 1/4. But still a nice car...awd, 3.2L V6. 240hp 236 ft.lbs. For those who don't know I ran a 14.3 quater mile, but that was my first time at the track so my car probably has 13s in her. Whatcha think?

SupraMario

I think it was the google
Mar 30, 2005
The Farm
u still stock all the way around? cause if he is pushing 240Hp and is AWD and is lighter than u, ur going to get ur ass handed to u from a dig, now the 40 and 60 roll u might have him, our cars are gods from those speeds.

lanternman

Apr 21, 2005
MI
^^^ check his sig.

He may take you from a dig but you should take him from a roll. But you have to ask yourself, does your friend know the car well enough to run a 14.1? Is it a manual? You may get him from a dig too. I'm in the same boat as you, while I do have a best of 13.88, I've only seen 13's once, I always end up with low 14's because my launches are terrible.

aye mate

Hiatus over.
Mar 30, 2005
Maryland
Yea lanternman, I know i can get a 13 out of her just need to get better at driving and go to a nice track. I have beat a stock STI from an 80 roll. The R32 is actually pretty heavy I think they weigh in at about 3300-3400. Still lighter than the MKIII but not that much. The car is a stick shift. I am pretty confident about the rolling starts, but just thought I would post up to see if anyone else has had any experience. I'm pretty sure his car is stock seeing as how he just got it. I'm not sure if its pre-owned or new. I think they stopped selling R32s in the US in '03, so it could be an '04 model. As for my mods I have full exhaust, FIPK, PVC hardpipes and an MBC that is actually at 14psi right now. The 12.5 psi is kind of an inside joke with me and another friend.

aye mate

Hiatus over.
Mar 30, 2005
Maryland
Ne0z said:
...300hp V8... AWD.. not very heavy... and i've seen them run better than 14 stock

240hp, V6 and quite heavy for a 3 door car. I'm sure someone can run better than a 14 in one, my info was just from Road and Track's website.

lanternman

Apr 21, 2005
MI
My bad about the mods, but I figured it at least showed you weren't stock, I guess I also gathered that from your times. Sorry Dead. Anyway, I think the track is what it is all about. (besides my lack of skill) I did my best at Norwalk, right after they had prepped the track. Since then I've been to Milan and to Great Lakes dragway which aren't notoriously great, and haven't been able to repeat. That should all change with my new tires, and more boost. :icon_bigg Toronto meet here I come. What are your 60 ft times by the way, and on what tires?
Back on topic, since it is a manual, if he doesn't do a clutch drop from redline, he may bog and give you the win from a dig as well. It all depends on how well he knows the car. When done right all wheel drive is great down low, done wrong it could make things worse. Good luck.

aye mate

Hiatus over.
Mar 30, 2005
Maryland
60' was 2.18 on 225-50-16s yokohama avid v4s. That time was on 12psi and my 3rd time down a track in my life.

drunk_medic

7Ms are for Cressidas
Apr 1, 2005
Woodstock, GA
I have a buddy with a fast little Jetta that runs 13s, and while I respect what he's doing with the car, I will never be a V-Dub fan. I don't like how they look at all. Even a stock '86.5 with sawblades looks better to me than the VWs.

LuvMySilverSupra

Bay Area Supras
Apr 1, 2005
Bay Area, CA
if the magazine ran 14.1...your friend will run 14.5. i doubt he has the balls or desire to drop the clutch at 5 grand. that's pretty much the only way the awd will help him. if u can get some DR's that will help u more than a few extra pounds of boost, but as long as you don't bog the motor or roast the tires off the line, you'll walk away pretty easy.

siman

Lifetime Ban
Mar 31, 2005
Murfreesboro, TN
www.cardomain.com
Already raced one and beat him. That was a while ago too!

They are not THAT fast.....the GTI hatch is just as fast as the R32...the only advantage is that the R32 has all wheel drive and a 6 speed....and a cool sounding exhaust...LOL

plus the interior is friggen awsome....and wheels...and tires...

yeah its alot of show for a little go.....but NOT worth $30K in my book :nono:

O

outrunm3

LUVMYSILVERSUPRA is right, most drivers do not have the b**** or the skill to drive as the mag drivers do! He would not pull a 14.1!!
Do not fear, it is the path to the dark side...........