Smoke from tailpipe!!!

Dew511

Apr 1, 2005
Q-boro, NY
This has happened for the 3rd time in like a week. Its a light colored smoke almost mist like. Maybe white or light blue. One time it happened on startup. The other 2 times were after I drove it hard. But like a min or 2 after I slowed down.

Another guy with a 1jz say it. Said it was my VSV valve. That I should switch it with one from a 94tt and that should solve the problem. B/c he had the same problem at one point. He pointed at the valve on the right side (if u r facing the engine bay) of the right valve cover the goes to the intake manifold. Its usually rerouted to a catch can or has one of those mini filters on it. Is this the correct name for the valve? 'Cause everytime I search for it on any forum , it comes up with something dealing with the turbos.

Also its about that time for an oil change. Im doing that today. Could the viscosity have just broken down and thats why its acting up?

Either way, any :1zhelp: would be appreciated.

M

Makavelli

streetknight said:
yeah it could be a vsv, but if it keeps happening on start up it might be ur valve seals.

If it's blue smoke, it's prolly your rings...blue smoke's never a good sign...

I

itr206

VSV same thing as PCV?
Mine does the same shit. I replaced the PCV and put a new line from the valve cover to the intake pipes.
I might do a catch can and see if that helps. I saw a bit of oil in the line from the valve cover to the intake pipes. Shouldnt be as much as there is.
Plus there seems to be oil coming out my outles.
These fucking turbos are prob crap. They seemed fine when I put them in
Mine only really does it when warm and when idling for a few mins.
Other then that no smoke at all.
Im doing a single soon, so if it smokes after that then thats bad. lol

May 31, 2005
Omaha
VSV is not the same as PCV. A VSV is a Vacuum Switching Valve, and PCV is Positive Crank Ventilation. I have a 94TT PCV with my 1jz, and I would smoke for about 20-30 seconds 5 minutes AFTER boosting hard (never on start up) I was running 10w30. I switched to 20w50, and I haven't blown smoke since. I would reccomend that you get the 94 PCV though...get the PCV valve, the grommet, and the hose. I know my problem was turhbo seals at the time, and the really thin oil just slips past them. The thicker just hydrates them more and prolongs they seals life, but won't save it forever. Also, the oil has been non-synthetic the whole time.

Trev

T701jz

3M ENGINEER - R.&.D
Jul 23, 2005
Santa Clarita Ca.
It's most likely ur secondary turbo has a bad seal already. The smoke settled down after I did the following things; replace the pcv valve,change oil 20/50 synthetic,cleaned ic pipes, and installed oil catchcan at the turbo side. The car has not smoke ever since. T70 is on it's way by this Sep. and will be ready for SILVO5.

I

itr206

hmmmm , maybe ill try the thicker oil too.
I am running 10w30 right now.
My seals seemed pretty good when I put the turbos back in a few weeks ago.
I replaced the PCV with the 93+ PCV already. My old PCV wasnt bad though.
I think the catchcan is next on my list though.

May 31, 2005
Omaha
itr206 said:
hmmmm , maybe ill try the thicker oil too.
I am running 10w30 right now.
My seals seemed pretty good when I put the turbos back in a few weeks ago.
I replaced the PCV with the 93+ PCV already. My old PCV wasnt bad though.
I think the catchcan is next on my list though.

Hey man, I am not running a catch can, and I barely find any oil in the intake pipe that the air filter intake pipe connects to. 10W30 is WAY too thin though. Try the castrol GTX 20W50 and see how that works out for you.

Trev

I

itr206

Dont like castrol and dont like synth.
I use Valvoline.
Ill try the 20w50 though and see how it works.

I dont see how 10w30 is soooo too thin for the motor? Isnt that what most cars including this one run stock ?

Dew511

Apr 1, 2005
Q-boro, NY
Thanx for all the info. I actually ordered the 94tt PCV, grommet and hose a day ago. Cost me like 20 bucks or so. But I also have a catch can at home... in NY. Im in NC now. So I'll put the PCV upgrade on now or whenever it comes in. I just changed the oil 2 days ago so the 20w50 might have to wait until I see that the PCV thing doesnt work. But as it stands, it hasnt smoked since I changed the oil. I'll see how long that lasts!

Does the car run any different with the catch can on there?

May 31, 2005
Omaha
Dew511 said:
Thanx for all the info. I actually ordered the 94tt PCV, grommet and hose a day ago. Cost me like 20 bucks or so. But I also have a catch can at home... in NY. Im in NC now. So I'll put the PCV upgrade on now or whenever it comes in. I just changed the oil 2 days ago so the 20w50 might have to wait until I see that the PCV thing doesnt work. But as it stands, it hasnt smoked since I changed the oil. I'll see how long that lasts!

Does the car run any different with the catch can on there?

SHouldn't

Trev

aka Kactabigun

Aug 13, 2005
Newcastle England
DEW511 is right there about the oil, On high mileage older engines a thicker oil is best.Ive tried different viscosity oils in mine and noticed whats come out of the zorst.Oil filters are varied aswell some of the UK guys say buy genuine from Mr Toyota.If you fit a copy filter you could restrict the oil flow
plus you'll notice differing oil preasure on your gauge.

I

itr206

These arent higher mileage most of the time though.
I think mine got like 40k on it. lol

I might try the thicker oil for shits and giggles and see how it works. If not Ill do the catch can thing too .

Also to the orig poster. You can get the PCV for like $3 at an auto store

I

itr206

I swapped in 20w50 yesterday and same deal on my end.
Unless it takes a little to work its way thru

T701jz

3M ENGINEER - R.&.D
Jul 23, 2005
Santa Clarita Ca.
3 days ago I replace my filter and oil. Without noticing that i have grab the wrong weight oil,I accidently poored a 5-50 synthetic in it. Surprisingly the car is not smoking. But i notice the line to my catch can has some residue coming out from the valve cover. To tell you the truth, the car runs better with the lighter oil and picks up better.

New pcv and catch can(turbo side)

Dew511

Apr 1, 2005
Q-boro, NY
itr206 said:
Mine still smokes and its irratating as hell.

Did you switch out the PCV,grommet and hose yet? That worked for me. Its been a couple weeks now and barely smokes anymore. Plus its time for me to change my oil again. But try that. Buy the parts for a 94TT.

I

itr206

my PCV valve was fine, but I replaced it first.
I dont know what the grommet and hose replacement would help. So I didnt bother on that.