1jz wireing harnes

1989MKIII

Jun 28, 2005
Troy, Missouri
www.elite-forums.com
alright, i know that you have to extend the wireing harnes by about 3 ft. but im not to sure that i feal that i want to do it myself. so is there anyone out there that would and or know where i can get one? please help. i sold my 7mgte and im going to go get a 1jz but i need help. thanks

justin

Troyota

I Love What You Do For Me
Jul 28, 2005
Roswell NM
The extending isn't what worries me...how does the JZ wiring harness mate to the 7M stuff particularly in an N/A Supra (guage cluster ect.)? I heard that you needed both wiring harnesses to make it work...there was someone who would take your original 7M harness and your JZ harness and make a proper harness for the swap for like $600. This was like a year or two ago when I was first researching the swap...a lot of things have changed since then though.

1989MKIII

Jun 28, 2005
Troy, Missouri
www.elite-forums.com
see mine is a 7mgte turbo now. and im going to the 1jz from what i understand the only thing you had to do is extend the wireing harnes. now i could be wrong and if i am please someone tell me so that i can make the ajustments. anyway. i dont want to spend that much. but if i have to then i have to. please someone :1zhelp: me if you can thanks...

justin

mkiiiowner

Apr 26, 2005
San Diego, ca
The harness is going to be too short. You're going to need to extend it about 20 inches. I extended my about 18 inches and it was a little tight fit. Two more inches would be just right. The second thing is that the plugs from the harness that go to dash plugs are going to be different. You either have to make a subharness or cut off those plugs from the jz harness and replace them with ones from your old 7m harness.

May 31, 2005
Omaha
Justin...
I did my entire swap by myself in my garage. I extended my harness 16" (3 feet is WAY too long...i mean WAY to long) Mine was a PERFECT fit. 18" is the longest I would tell anyone to do theirs. The second is that yes, you need the subharness. See, the ECU plugs on the 1jz harness will obviously fit into the 1jz ECU. The problem lies with the other 2 or three plugs on the 1jz harness that are near the ECU harness. These plugs (different ones are found on the 7M harness in the same location) will not fit into the connectors that are under the dash that the 7M harness plugs used to connect to. I would NOT recomend that you cut ANYTHING from your 1jz harness...the only cutting you need to do is the extension. BTW, there are about 110 wire in the harness....I separated all 110 into 3 groups of wires, and I did one group at a time...and one wire at a time. Some of the wires (O2, crank angle sensor, knock sensors, etc) are shielded cable. You will want to extend these using 2.0 USB cable. Get 2 10 foot sections from ebay for about 5 bucks...don't buy 6ft for 35 at radio shack.

Trev

Troyota

Jul 28, 2005
Roswell NM
Ok, my question is if you are going from N/A to 1JZ, is there any issues w/ guages working correctly w/ the JZ harness?

MightyAl

Jun 5, 2005
Chesterfield, MO
Don't extend your harness because you don't need to. Why have the headache of cutting and soldering sixty wires and then have to worry about the connections and the all the shielded wires. Shoot me a pm and I can explain it to you.

Troyota

Jul 28, 2005
Roswell NM
Drill a hole in the firewall on the other side??? That's what they did w/ my friend's Celica JDM 3sgte swap...

andrew19

Jul 18, 2005
columbia
hey i would also like to take a stop by and take a look i am getting my front clip this weekend and will start the swap on monday....i was planning on extending but if i dont have to then i wont do it...thanks