CODE 14. Lets see if you guys can help.

siman

Lifetime Ban
Mar 31, 2005
Murfreesboro, TN
www.cardomain.com
Welp, for the past 2 days the car has been hitting some sort of "cut"....it is "missing" but its not under boost ( or boost dependant).

I am only getting code 14, which is the igniter and coil pack circuit or one or the other.

How many of you have had experiance with CODE 14? Was it the igniter, the coil pack...or the wiring( probably not the wiring)?

Do the igniters routinely just "fail"......I mean could it of heat soaked soo much over the past 19 years that it just up and failed now....???

but dang its fun to shoot fireballs under light loads LOL.....got my own little fourth of july in my tailpipe. :biglaugh:

But seriously, give me something to shoot for. Me and Kris ( mk3_300) replaced the TPS today with another one, so now the car doesnt die when I let off the gas...much less it does not have a rough idle at ALL.

-Jonathan

siman

Lifetime Ban
Mar 31, 2005
Murfreesboro, TN
www.cardomain.com
Another note:

The tachometer jumps around like MADNESS when it misses.....unlike a spark plug or bad timing miss ( or just a boost leak miss) where the tach does not drop and come back up this time it IS...

reference this picture:
IG_04.gif

The igniter system in the GE and GTE are basically the same, minus the distributor replaces the coil packs, the igniter set up is virtually the same.

The way I see it, if it was the coil pack that was messed up electronically I would not see the voltage drop from my tach ( hence the tach jumping around speratically 'sp?')....the ignition coils power is what sends the signal to the tach......basically saying if there is a interruption in the igniter signal, the igniter being bad, it would send or actually would NOT send the signal to the tach?

Am I correct or just trying to think to hard? I have ruled out plugs and spark plug wires....and ECU...those are all good. It sounds like the CODE 14 is eminating from the igniter assymbly

who's with me? :icon_conf

-Jonathan

Iron Tank

Grease Monkey
Mar 30, 2005
N. California
No IGF (ignition feedback) signal to ECU. I'd suspect one of the coil packs. Possibly an open/short in the primary side.

Last edited:

siman

Lifetime Ban
Mar 31, 2005
Murfreesboro, TN
www.cardomain.com
LOL, I was about to update and saw your post.

Today, I was cruising up to a nice sushi resteraunt with my friend...and his dad decided to cruise with us and go play some golf....

He has a 996TT Porsche (2004). My car was missing and all....was a horrible race...LOL

but on our way back to his house, the car just STOPPED missing!!!!

All tonight it has not misfired AT ALL.......so damn weird.

So I guess I will ride it out until it starts acting up again...maybe someting with the heat? Its 100 degrees out for the past 3 days?

So you think the coil packs might be going? :icon_conf

-Jonathan

siman

Lifetime Ban
Mar 31, 2005
Murfreesboro, TN
www.cardomain.com
Iron Tank said:
No IGF (ignition feedback) signal to ECU. I'd suspect one of the coil packs. Possibly an open/short in the primary side.

as in the major green plug that wires the coil packs to the ECU....etc...

I have a wire that seems to have some sheeth stripped off.... :icon_surp

Iron Tank

Grease Monkey
Mar 30, 2005
N. California
I'd first check the ignition coils. Disconnect the connectors of all three coil packs and measure the resistance of the primary circuit side of each coil pack. Should be between .3 - .5 ohms.

siman

Lifetime Ban
Mar 31, 2005
Murfreesboro, TN
www.cardomain.com
Thats what I am thinking now....

My wiring harness is SOOO degraded. Its not even funny.....if I move one wire it will BREAK or split.

So a broken or grounding wire may be the issue.

Heck, when I first got the car back on the road it had a horrible miss...changed spark plugs and what not....only to find out that I had a spark plug wire that was cut...and it was ark'ing onto a valve cover stud!!!!!!!

So i electrical taped the wire and its been fine ever since!

so yes I will take your advice into serious thought.

thanks man!

-Jonathan

lagged

1991 1JZ
Mar 30, 2005
new rochelle
ive heard that misc bugs that people cant figure out, are lots of the time solved by a new wire harness. expensive fix :(

boost fiend

Banned
Jul 24, 2005
Rockford, Il
i also have a mystery backfire and occasional shutdown. tested all the coil packs and the ignitor assembly. im about sure that its in the wire harness. so does anyone have a lead on where i can find a GOOD wiring harness at for a decent price? i really dont wanna have to rewire the whole thing on my own.

Last edited:

siman

Lifetime Ban
Mar 31, 2005
Murfreesboro, TN
www.cardomain.com
GrimJack said:
Jay Marks / Champion Toyota still sells them new - under $400 IIRC.

Siman - check that the ground wire from your coilpack bracket to the head is still there and working.

Jay Marks sells them for $375 shipped...its in his section.

http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3558

Grim, I made sure of that the first time I checked under the hood, its still there and going strong ( the grounding wire, I made a new one when I got the car dissassymbled the first time around ).

IHI-RHC7

"The Boss"
Apr 1, 2005
Oregon
There's a chance that the arcing wire that you electrical taped was shorting a little, and killed the coil.

boost fiend

Banned
Jul 24, 2005
Rockford, Il
well im not not in that kinda spendin mood for a chunk of wiring harness. now if its the whole wiring harness, i might be intersted. ill just have to cut out the wires i dont need and go from there. im just looking for the wiring from the ingitor assembly to the coil packs. im checking the yards in my area on monday. if i find extras ill let everyone know.

siman

Lifetime Ban
Mar 31, 2005
Murfreesboro, TN
www.cardomain.com
IHI-RHC7 said:
There's a chance that the arcing wire that you electrical taped was shorting a little, and killed the coil.

That was the spark plug wire that was cut...I fixed that, but there is still some wires that might be split on the sheeth....

I have just accepted these little problems as regular events.

Its a 18 year old car....Its a given :icon_razz

But I have a hunch that if I just replace the wiring harness it will go away.

As of right now, the car has not acted up in 4 days....heh. Winding her out on the interstate and multiple fun driving for the past 2 days and nothing has surfaced....its electrical whatever it is.

-Jonathan