problem with lexus afm

P

pot_supra89

Hi everyone, I am new around here and I am searching for some info on the lexus mod like how to tune it, what the results are, etc... I am asking that because i have done the following mods on my supra:

hks super flow filter
lexus afm
550 cc lucas type injectors
afpr
dual stock intercooler with custom pipe
turbo 3" elbow from jblmk3.com with a 3" custom mendrel exhaust pipe (no cats)
a/f ratio, boost and pyrometer gauges
apexi s afc2
greddy profec b boost controller
the engine is from japan and was rebuild by me with an hks metal head gasket
(the other blew on the crank :-()
and I have some difficulties with rough idling, running rich at idle and on all speeds crusing below 120 km/h (75 mph). have no problem on wide open throttle or else.Also before putting the lexus afm, my a/f gauge readings where perfect, I could see the ecu open and closed loop smoothly all across the gauge range but since I put the lexus afm the readings are all jerky like all the lights go back and forth like crazy as if the ecu as a hard time making is corrections (this happens when its on closed loop) . you could think that they are all on at the same time!!! Ive tried everything from setting the fuel pressure (from 28 to 37 psi. 37 psi is what reg supposedly set is car to.) and adjust that damn screw that just seems to do nothing!!! Well thats why I bought an afc but that doesn't seem to correct the rought idling problem! Now what I want to know is what you people who have the lexus afm 550 inj. have encountered these same problem or if it worked just fine...I mean from what I have read on the internet, this is supposed to be straightforward and simple (http://www.supras.co.uk/resources/MkIII/tips/lexusupgrade/lexusupgrade.htm) and the on (http://www.supras.com/~riemer/lexusriemer/lexusnotes.html)

thank you your help is much appreciated

ps. well I should talk a little about me since im new around here so im from quebec, canada (im french canadian so thats why my english is not perfect!)
I have done a two year course in car mechanics and worked for three years for the canadian army ( mostly big truck and tanks) as a civilian. Ive done all
the works on my supra (saves a lot of money that way :)). well thats about it!!

Supraholic

Mar 31, 2005
Houston, TX
I have lexus afm with 550s, WB high-flow fuel pump, and AFPR.. with J-tube bypassed.. my car runs and idles perfect.. but runs rich.. (learned from the smog test).. mixture is at 13.9 at 25 mph testing..

P

pot_supra89

Do you have an a/f ratio gauge and does it read like it did before the mod?

P

pot_supra89

do you have a a/f ratio gauge and does it give the same readings as before the mods?

Blue87T(Dan)

Mar 30, 2005
St. Clair Shores, MI
Are you using the elctronics that came with the Lex or the ones that worked nicely on your car with the stock AFM?

If another words if you just swap the stock AFM housing back in does your car get any better?

Dan

P

pot_supra89

im using the 7m-gte electronic as said by reg but I tried the lexus electronics and it didn't worked well. the ecu give a code for the maf. And I did not try to put the stock housing back and I don't know why I would...I mean putting back the stock housing will have the fco comming back and I don't know if it will work better with the 550cc injectors??

Mk3 TurboS

No not a "Turbo A"
Mar 31, 2005
Australia
You said u bought a SAFC and it did nothing as well, did you just install it or did you actually have it properly tuned? Your Idle prob might not even be related to any of your mods?