Maaco?

M

Makavelli

Hey all, I gotta get the Supra painted, and was thinkin bout goin to MAACO. Has anyone had any experience with this place? Any good?

RM777

GO OILERS GO!
May 24, 2005
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Depends on the franchise owner whether they give a shit or not, what kind of work they do, etc. There are usually a few in any given city. Just go and check them out and talk to people that have taken their car there. Hope this helps. Oh yeah, I have heard that you should do all of the prepwork yourself if you decide to go with Maaco.

silversup

Supraluva
May 25, 2005
Philly
i have run a couple cars through maaco and I have learned a few things. The first thing is if its a good shop they will paint your car very nicely. But, to make it perfect, everything that they recommend to you, do it. The better the paint package you get the better warranty you also get. Those specials that they quote will just have them scuff up you paint and put a sealer, paint coat and clearcoat on. All those dings and dents will cost extra. but overall the two shops I go to do exceptional work.

becauseican

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Vancouver
www.bicperformance.com
No !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

supraswole89

Mar 30, 2005
jackson,TN
they give the painter a set amount of masking paper, tape, scuff pads, etc.
If they can't do the car with that amount well your shit-out-of-luck.
Also they use paint out of 50 gal drums. So all in all i would say no also.

willfish

been here since 2003
Apr 23, 2005
Pittsburgh, Pa.
like said before,, """""NNNNNOOOOOO"""""

and ,,, """""you get what you pay for""""",,,

you want a cheap paint job,, go right ahead

I wouldnt do it...

I when a few years ago to the aquivalent EARL FUCKING SCHIEB

and that motherfucker painted right over my fucking pin fucking stripes, that fucking mother=fucker.....
save ur money for a good paint job

I learned that its not the paint job that makes it good fresh paint, it's all the prep work they do prier to the paint.... that makes it all good

Will

MRSUPRA

Apr 11, 2005
Maryland
I'm 8 months into my maaco paint job. I got the presidential paint job which at the time was half price($250). I also got some dents and dings removed, and also an extra clear coat. The total bill was $790. This is not a show car finish, there are some flaws hear and there close up. But the finish looks 10 times better than it did, and I'm very happy with the way its holding up. No one could beleive it was a Maaco job. I would do it again..

M

Makavelli

Supra Blues said:
Willfish,

They painted right over the pinstrping?

Wow...

I wouldn't doubt it. Earl Sheib is pure crap. I took my civic in there back in the mid 90's and they painted over the taillights!

My paint right now is all ate to hell, and I was just lookin for something short term. Till I get the new engine and tweak it out, I'm just goin with a regular paint job. I figured a place like MAACO would be good for this. BTW, I plan on getting their best package, if that makes any difference. It claims to have better prep and clearcoat, so we'll see.

B

Boostaddctn

Ask Catchmeifyacan, he had his paint job done at Maaco... aight peace :chicken:

Cz.

CAR > FAMILY
Mar 31, 2005
Seattle, WA
I've heard that if you do all the prep work and provide your own paint, it doesn't end up looking that bad. Apparently maaco does a crap job on the prep work, which is very important, that's why their paint jobs end up being crappy too.

Mr.SelfDestruct

I build planes... yeah...
May 27, 2005
everett, WA
just do as much prepwork as you can before you go there, that way, they wont have as much space to cover up and wont run out before they finish masking. because I think they do only get a set amount of paper and such.

willfish

been here since 2003
Apr 23, 2005
Pittsburgh, Pa.
yep, right over the pin stripes,,, bastards!!!

prep work is the key....

last summer i paid 5 K for a paint job,, It's beautiful but after a month or so a old booty call xxx g/f keyed the fender,,,,,,
go figure, she prolly wouldn't have done it if she knew I just had a Earl Shieb paint job

Will

siman

Lifetime Ban
Mar 31, 2005
Murfreesboro, TN
www.cardomain.com
I have seen Maaco paint of bird crap with my very eyes.

Remember the quote "you get what you pay for" ???

The WORST paint jobs I have ever seen have come from them...but some of the better paint jobs have come from them as well......so go ahead and have them put a good GLOSSY clear coat on top of their paint.

and make sure you tape off the modlings your self before you bring your car to them....they tend to like overspraying a little too much...its more like a signature to them??

"dayum look guys, he's got the overspray.....definantly a MAACO job! " :biglaugh:

americanjebus

Mr. Evergreen
Mar 30, 2005
wa.
if you let them do it from beginnig to finish then yes YOU WILL GET A CRAP PAINTJOB

BUT

if you do like me and my friend did on his car we did all of the prepwork and sanded that sucker down and scuffed the hell out of that and did everything prep work related ourselves then PROVIDE YOUR paint and choose good stuff they spray it on pretty darn well. i cant remember what type of paint it was we used but i know it was the idiot proof kind that bassically makes it so a moron can spray it and not mess it up.

just have them spray it but do everything else yourself.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
AJ and Will are right 99% of it is in the Prep work!

Here's a pic of my old 240z I painted at home in the garage taken a few days after the paint job.

No cutNpolish straight off the gun!
(notice the floor is green from overspray)

Last edited: