CODE 63,64 could this make a false neutral where 4th should be?

suprabad

Coitus Non Circum
Jul 12, 2005
Down Like A Clown Charley Brown
My Supra is occasionally (under acceleration) slipping into neutral where it should be going into 4th (O/D). I got a code 63 and 64...#2 shift solenoid and lock-up solenoid respectively. So I pull the trans pan check the solenoids and they seem ok (per TSRM test). I put a new filter on it and new fluid and button up the trans pan and go for a drive. Same crap! Check for code (after clearing it out) and guess what same codes. I still need to check to see if there is some kind of short or interruption of current to the solenoids. Any suggestions on the best way to do this? Also, is it possible that a mechanical and not an electronic problem is causing the problems and the code? Can electronics cause it to go into neutral instead of 4th? This is pissing me off.

rakkasan

Currahee!!
Mar 31, 2005
Fort Campbell, KY
suprabad said:
My Supra is occasionally (under acceleration) slipping into neutral where it should be going into 4th (O/D). I got a code 63 and 64...#2 shift solenoid and lock-up solenoid respectively. So I pull the trans pan check the solenoids and they seem ok (per TSRM test). I put a new filter on it and new fluid and button up the trans pan and go for a drive. Same crap! Check for code (after clearing it out) and guess what same codes. I still need to check to see if there is some kind of short or interruption of current to the solenoids. Any suggestions on the best way to do this? Also, is it possible that a mechanical and not an electronic problem is causing the problems and the code? Can electronics cause it to go into neutral instead of 4th? This is pissing me off.

I doubt it's shifting into neutral. It's probably slipping caused by you disks being burnt. When you pulled the pan off, what was in it? Was it gritty? What color was the fluid?

suprabad

Coitus Non Circum
Jul 12, 2005
Down Like A Clown Charley Brown
Thnks for responding RAKKASAN. The fluid is red and doesn't smell burnt. There is no sludge in the pan. In addition other then the occasional symptom of neutral (I don't know what else to call it) where 4th should be it shifts fine. It's really strange. I am still getting 63 and 64 code (2nd solenoid and lock-up solenoid) and I'm wondering if it's possible that it could be the lock-up solenoid since it only happens in 4th (O/D).