NA to Turbo without a swap?

M

Makavelli

Is it possible to turbo out an NA MKIII? I've done it with other non-turbo cars, but can the MK3 pull it off? I ask because my NA engine is sweet and in great shape, while most of the turbos I've found for transplant have been ridden hard and put away wet. Dont wanna dump a good NA for a shitty turbo, know what I mean?

lagged

1991 1JZ
Mar 30, 2005
new rochelle
yes it is extremely possible. if you have done it before to other cars i am SURE you can figure out how to do it to the mkiii.

as with most things, you have many options when going this route. GE electronics, GTE electronics (what i would do personally)

oil for the turbo isnt a problem, easiest way IMO is to get an oil filter relocation kit, t into the line after the filter for the oil feed for the turbo, and drill into the oil pan for the turbos return line.

theres much more to it, but it is not difficult and since youve done it before, i am sure youll have no problem figuring it out! :)

supradan22

NA->TER
May 20, 2005
ORLANDO FL
I too have also looked at this route its very possible others have told me diffrent things but its pretty much the same engine other then the pistions.

If you have the need for boost then 12 pounds then your gona need the turbo pistions. your also gona need the 440cc or higher injectors you can also grab the turbo manifold from the turbo model I would really like too see a diffrent turbo on the n/as other then the Ct26 so I maybe be droppin a T04 on mine.

Oh and keep your N/A head some guy tryed suckering me saying that the head wasnt gona work with the turbo just cause he wanted the n/a head for himself the intake cam is better.

THEY MAY HAVE TURBOS BUT ATLEAST WE HAVE BETTER INTAKE CAMS :biglaugh:​

Supra Blues

Virgin Booster
Mar 30, 2005
Supramania
The engines are virtually identical save for several small differences (pistons, cams, and other small external components).

Putting a turbo on an NA is defenitley possible, but if you use the NA pistons you won't be going much higher then about 10 or 12 psi of boost (this was mentioned above too).

M

Makavelli

Supra Blues said:
The engines are virtually identical save for several small differences (pistons, cams, and other small external components).

Putting a turbo on an NA is defenitley possible, but if you use the NA pistons you won't be going much higher then about 10 or 12 psi of boost (this was mentioned above too).

How painful is it to swap out the pistons?

Also, dumb question: what is the normal psi for the NA?

M

Makavelli

lagged said:
um? boost pressure? 0? NAs see no positive pressure........i quit.

Sorry, brain fart...

Does 10-12 psi boost make a difference?

M

Makavelli

IJ. said:
Not so much a case of PSI but more of flow, bigger better flowing turbo at 12 psi could possibly double your rwhp with supporting mods.

damn, that's pretty sweet. I'm buyin the turbo mods for $80 bucks, not bad for double rwhp...On a scale of 1 to 10 (10 bein an engine rebuild) how hard would you say this mod would be?

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Ummm I did say on a bigger better flowing Turbo NOT on a CT!

Some of the guys will jump in with what a CT will make at 12 psi but my guess is it might make around a 50% increase in power from your old NA if everythings done right!

Most of what you're doing is just a bolt in so difficulty isn't high, Hardest part is sorting the Turbo Drain as the NA block isn't drilled and tapped for it.

M

Makavelli

IJ. said:
Ummm I did say on a bigger better flowing Turbo NOT on a CT!

Some of the guys will jump in with what a CT will make at 12 psi but my guess is it might make around a 50% increase in power from your old NA if everythings done right!

Most of what you're doing is just a bolt in so difficulty isn't high, Hardest part is sorting the Turbo Drain as the NA block isn't drilled and tapped for it.

CT???

Forgive me, it's been over 10 years since I turned a wrench.

Also, will I have to custom drill the block?

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
No probs!

I was in the same boat not long ago after a long break from cars!

CT as in CT26 the stock Mk3 Turbo as fitted by the factory.

They're quite small but nice and punchy for street driving and will go to 12 Psi.

You have a few alternatives for the Turbo drain, you can drill the block but it's NOT an easy job as there is a Main Bearing Web in the way inside so you have to drill a shallow hole in from the outside then an intersecting hole diagonally up from the inside! (ask how I know this ;) )

Another way to do it would be to lose the useless NA Oil Coller if fitted and use it's return hole for the drain, If it doesn't have the cooler you can punch a hole in the Pan and braze/weld a fitting in it.

JustAnotherVictim

Supramania Contributor
How does the stock bov(bypass valve) fit into all this? I've been checking up on this also.
I have many parts from a gte engine. So I figure I could switch the oil pans. I saw a guy doing the 1/2na-t on supraforums but some of his instructions were a bit vague. I think mainly I only need a dp, and a way for the oil to circulate thru the turbo and hoses etc...

JustAnotherVictim

Supramania Contributor
Would it be possible to use a turbo afm with the ge wiring? I was thinking that that air box would restrict it since it's not open all the time. Also can I just swap the injectors or do I have to rewire for the 440's?
And any ideas on what to use for the rerouting the oil lines? Oh just in case you didn't see it I have a gte oil pan. i know a place that I could probably get the lines made for pretty cheap I would most likely just need adapters. I saw also that someone reccomended getting lines about 3/4 to 1in. for the main line, what about sizing on the second line?

Last edited: