Oil in intercooler...

sathu

Apr 20, 2005
SJ, CA
My old turbo had bad oil seal so there are oil vapor in the IC. I changed the turbo to a 60-1 CT26 and it's still burning oil at accelleration after idle at red light. When I was on the freeway stuck in traffic, the car puff smoke almost constantly.

Is the smoke coming from the oil still in the IC or something? If I need to flush the IC clean, how do you do it? Or is this turbo fawked up and I got ripped...

sathu

Apr 20, 2005
SJ, CA
I don't think it's the rings, I did compression test before and they were 165, 165, 155, 165, 165, 165. Not sure if compression test also tell what state the valve is in so I am not sure on that. I'll clean the IC out and see what happen after.

supra90turbo

shaeff is FTMFW!
Mar 30, 2005
MA, 01440
could be valve stem seals...
my ic had tons of oil in it. i flushed it out with gas 5 or 6 times and oil was still coming out, but it never burned as you described...
flush your ic. cant hurt, and if it still burns oil afterwards, then you know its not the ic.

i would say it may be valve stem seals. does it burn on decel?

sathu

Apr 20, 2005
SJ, CA
It doesn't burn white smoke out the rear when I decel with the new turbo on it. Mine is an auto :( so it's possible for me to blow my HG as I don't rev it that high. However, when I put it in R and back it out of the driveway and then back into D it puff smoke. I got the IC off now and gona be taking all the IC pipe out and clean them up with carb cleaner. I started cleaning the IC with a bottle of carb cleaner I have in the garage and it does it job of getting the oil out but not all of them since I ran out of the carb cleaner. I am gona get some more, probably 3 more can the autozone one that cost really cheap.

The other problem that I confirmed was my IC is cracked at the bottom left. It look like something smashed the side wall and cause the joint to seperate. I think there are 3 hole in it. Anyone know how to repair an IC, or will it be cheaper to get a replacement?

I don't know what this mean but I installed an oil catch can for the valve cover breather hole and the tube that I used is clear so u can see all the oil deposit on it. I don't know why, but the oil vapor coming out of there so much that the air filter for the oil can is wet with oil.

T701jz

3M ENGINEER - R.&.D
Jul 23, 2005
Santa Clarita Ca.
You should provably replace ur pvcvalve, located at the top of ur valve cover. It's provably where you have ur catch can hose hook up(breather hole)

sathu

Apr 20, 2005
SJ, CA
Time to take off the valve cover and see what happen in there anyway. Need to replace those 4 stripped philip screw head.

drunk_medic

7Ms are for Cressidas
Apr 1, 2005
Woodstock, GA
Dude.. IC is cracked? That could be your problem right there. It's the same as having a pipe leak. Your car is seeing X amount of air coming through the AFM, which sends a signal to the ECU telling it to inject Y amount of fuel for the right air/fuel ratio. When air escapes between the AFM and the combustion chamber [somewhere in the intercooler pipes usually], you aren't getting the right mixture - you are in fact running rich. This could be your cloud of smoke [most likely a blue-ish color].

sathu

Apr 20, 2005
SJ, CA
Ding...ding...ding...

You are in fact correct about the bluish smoke out the pipe, and it smell nasty too if the wind blow it back into the car.

I am cleaning the IC now, i did it with one bottle of carb cleaner, then now with one engine degreaser... anf then flush it with cold water for 4x and then blow air throught air with compressor for 3x then flush it and shake it like mad 2x with hot water...

As for the 3" gaping crack, I tried to use solder lead to patch it but it won't stick. So tomorrow I am using my dad plumbing torch, with his flux and lead to solder the crack shut. If that still doesn't work, i'll freaking use industrial epoxy to fill the crack, I don't think 25psi of air will get rid of that stuff :icon_evil .

Supraholic

Mar 31, 2005
Houston, TX
I had a crack on my stock intercooler (87T).. it caused the car to run lean.. (vacuum leak during normal driving with no boosting), and EGTs went up the roof.. this caused hair-line cracks in the turbo exhaust housing.. I had to get the housing welded ($$).. I cleanedup the crack on the intercooler, and used J-B weld.. the intercooler is still holding after 3 years.. (I even boost up to 15 psi time to time..)..