W58 rear seal leak

B

boogiesurfer

My former mechanic worked on my driveshafts, in particular the center support needed to be changed (making noise), and they removed the driveshafts from the center support without making any matchmarks! Three months later after much driving with vibration, I had to take it upon myself to find a complete "high speed balanced" driveshaft assembly from a Texas driveshaft shop in San Antonio to replace my ailing system. Throughout this three months the vibration must have caused some havoc with the rear output shaft of the W58, because the rear seal was leaking. Again, my former mechanic changed the seal two times and it's still leaking. Now I find out from a transmission shop that the rear bushing just before the seal is most likely damaged too. I was worried that maybe the oil level in the W58 would become too low and maybe damage something further, but since the output shaft is kinda higher up, with apparently much more oil level below, I haven't seen a "significant" amount of oil loss (checked it recently at the oil fill hole and found level OK). I have purchased another new seal, and the new bushing. I've been told that this is a fairly "easy" job for a shop to do, but my new mechanic took a look and said that he didn't have the special tools required to install the bushing (he has the Ford and GM tools). Here in Hawaii, its not the easiest thing to find a reputable shop to do this kind of work (other than the dealer of course, $$$$$), and my question is this: Now that I have the driveshafts in order, is it imperative that I get this fixed right away, or could I cause further damage, etc. by letting it go for awhile? BTW I can usually smell oil after a drive. Any help or suggestions are most appreciated. Thank you very much :sadwavey: Original 86.5 N/A owner (Sorry, but I believe I posted in the wrong place :nono: )

Last edited by a moderator: