Which Japanese tidbits should I get?

mkIIIman089

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Ohio
Hey guys, a buddy of mine is going back to Japan for 10 days and he said any little things I wanted (that can fit in a suitcase or dufflebag) I should give him a list of stuff and he'll look around for me. But when I thought about it I didn't even know what I could ask him for. So what are some cool little things that only Japanese models had that would be kind of neat to have? As a disclaimer I am NOT, absolutely NOT jumping on that rediculous 'JDM tyte yo' bandwagon. Just looking for some cool little visual or interior things that came factory that we don't have here.

DrakeMK3

"The Duck"
Mar 30, 2005
Knoxville, TN
Well, you can always try to score a genuine Turbo A air scoop for the front bumper. If all else fails, you can probably find a BUNCH of cool aftermarket stuff like coilovers, electronics, etc for much cheaper than what you'd find here in the states. Happy Hunting!

mkIIIman089

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Ohio
Yea, I asked him about the turbo A thing. To be fully authentic though I would want like the entire front with slotted bumber bar and all. I should see what kind of aftermarket things I can get from him.

Jetfixr757

Sleeper
Mar 30, 2005
Cocoa, Florida
Careful, you could be posing...how dare you put a Turbo A part on a car that is not a Turbo A....Just kidding around, i got smeared for offering to make a batch of decals for the doors and got properly sent away. Put whatever you want on your car as i will too.
William 89T

DrakeMK3

"The Duck"
Mar 30, 2005
Knoxville, TN
Jetfixr757 said:
Careful, you could be posing...how dare you put a Turbo A part on a car that is not a Turbo A....Just kidding around, i got smeared for offering to make a batch of decals for the doors and got properly sent away. Put whatever you want on your car as i will too.
William 89T

That's because you're offering stickers. He is wanting REAL parts.

Figgie: From what I understand, the turbo A models are all speed density systems.

flubyux2

Madd Tyte JDM yo ®
Apr 2, 2005
st. pete, fl
www.myspace.com
snag Turbo A ecu's, as many as possible!!! they are map-based. they use the factory boost sensor, the same thing we use for our boost guage.

also, you can snag EGR block off plates, you can always sell that shit, or use it.

flubyux2

Madd Tyte JDM yo ®
Apr 2, 2005
st. pete, fl
www.myspace.com
sort of

we arent sure if the turbo a ecu uses the same harness connectors as the standard 7Mgte ecu.

but, yes, its possible. instead of pulling a signal from the AFM, you need to pull a signal from the boost sensor. then you have to have provision for an IAT and something else. there are other sensors integrated into the stock AFM which need to be added remotely when switching to MAP

siman

Lifetime Ban
Mar 31, 2005
Murfreesboro, TN
www.cardomain.com
I would think the ecu ports/wiring would be different....becauese the ECU's themselves changed in 90' didnt they?

At least my 87' turbo ecu is different from my friends 92' turbo...

-Jonathan

DrakeMK3

"The Duck"
Mar 30, 2005
Knoxville, TN
Yes, I forgot to mention the clear front sidemarkers. Those are rare as f*ck even in Japanland, but if you find a pair or two, people will pay a hefty price for them in good condition.

siman

Lifetime Ban
Mar 31, 2005
Murfreesboro, TN
www.cardomain.com
I want a rear diffusor from Top Secret....supposedly they bolt right up on the mk3...originally intended for the mk4...

Or i could take some 1jz stuff...or just get me a 2jzgte...remember you owe me :p

Recaro SRD's....the weird looking color patterns...they look so jdm tizzite! :cool:

SP 7M

Use your GUY instinct
Apr 6, 2005
Oceanside (for now), CA
www.myspace.com
If your friend is going to be anywhere near Hiroshima (forgive me if I missed something), have him go to Up Garage. They have a ton of really nice used parts. When I was in Iwakuni (from Oct. 03-Apr. 04) I talked to a handful of guys there and many of them had parts from Up Garage. There was one with an R32 Skyline GTS-t with a Bee Racing exhaust he got for about $150, which was in great condition. A guy with an FD had a nice set of Mazdaspeed rims he got there, and another had a Nissan Cephiro with pretty wide white Volk TE37's that he got for $1300 with tires. Your buddy might find something there for you that you might not have even considered him coming across yet.

I'll be going back to Iwakuni near the end of May through the end of December, and I will definitely be going to Up Garage. I'll see what I come across and start a new thread on here letting everyone know what I can get.

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
siman said:
...becauese the ECU's themselves changed in 90' didnt they?

At least my 87' turbo ecu is different from my friends 92' turbo...

-Jonathan

the ecu's changed in '89. the difference being that the 89.5+ ECU's have an internal HAC sensor. 89.4 and earlier have an external HAC...

-shaeff

mkIIIman089

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Ohio
Wow, I didn't quite expect so many peopl to respond. I'm not familiar with all this group A stuff, if there like a thread or page somewhere where I could read up all about it? If I am hearing you guys correctly, depending on wether or not it uses the same wiring clips, it could be like a factory plug and play MAFT type deal with whatever the added sensors it required were.

Toyota branded clear sidemarkers? I didn't know there was such a thing, I've seen the half amber half clear ones, not totally clear though as a Toyota OEM part.

Jetfixr757

Sleeper
Mar 30, 2005
Cocoa, Florida
Oh boy, it looks like i should line up some contacts with some folks in Japan and make a trip myself, I can fly back and forth on the aircraft in my company, they fly cargo anyway so bringing back stuff shouldn't be an issue..
William 89T