Amp Wiring

albertmdh

Apr 7, 2005
Fredericksburg, VA
I did a search, nothing came up, though i swear i remember someone asking before. Where did you guys run the amp power cord from the battery? pictures would be helpfull. Just got my Pioneer gm5100, 760 watts, going to 2 8 inch rockford punch classics in boxes, hope it sounds good.

wh0wants2know

Apr 4, 2005
seattle
sorry, no pics, but what I did was:

1. From battery, route along driver's side fender to firewall, follow engine harness (zipties) and go through engine harness grommet into the area behind the glovebox
2. remove the glovebox and associated panelling. also remove passenger kickpanel, seat, and peel back carpet. go down from the glovebox area via the kickpanel to the floor of the car.
3. at this point, you have two choices. if you're going to under the passenger seat, just run the cable under the carpet and there's a hole under the seat in the carpet that you can use. if you're going to the trunk, there's a conduit that's right under the door trim piece that has the rear washer fluid hose and some wires in it. that will run to the back seat and under the trim next to the seat and into the hatch area. that's what I used.

SupraMario

I think it was the google
Mar 30, 2005
The Farm
dont forget to run the remote wire i forgot to do mine and i was like WTF, then i remebered and it worked lol, ground it down inside the spare tire area. then run ur power straight to the batter dont forget the fuse so u dont kill ur amp.

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
wh0wants2know said:
sorry, no pics, but what I did was:

1. From battery, route along driver's side fender to firewall, follow engine harness (zipties) and go through engine harness grommet into the area behind the glovebox
2. remove the glovebox and associated panelling. also remove passenger kickpanel, seat, and peel back carpet. go down from the glovebox area via the kickpanel to the floor of the car.
3. at this point, you have two choices. if you're going to under the passenger seat, just run the cable under the carpet and there's a hole under the seat in the carpet that you can use. if you're going to the trunk, there's a conduit that's right under the door trim piece that has the rear washer fluid hose and some wires in it. that will run to the back seat and under the trim next to the seat and into the hatch area. that's what I used.
Exactly. I fit 4 gauge wire through this route.

albertmdh

Apr 7, 2005
Fredericksburg, VA
I got the 4 gauge in down through the driver fender, tucked under the driver plastic door trim, next to the seat, then crammed down next to the passenger seat, right into the trunk, no problems there. I tried grounding it down in the spare well, but so far it hasn't worked, at least I'm assuming thats where my problem is. Gotta buy some speaker wire on my way home, and some more ring terminals, cas i fucked a few up yesterday.

Adjuster

Supramania Contributor
There are a few good ground sources in the rear hatch area. The mounts for the panel that holds the wood "floor" work great. The mounts for the little floor braces are all nylon however, and don't ground worth crap.

Find a good metal to metal ground, and you should be fine. Don't put too long of a screw into the floor as your gas tank is under that area however. (I have my MTX amp mounted to the hatch floor, and it just fits under the wood cover. I used double sided tape to mount it v/s screws because of the gas tank.) It does not move, and has actually molded into the sound deadening on the floor.

I used the rocker channels to route the wires. I wish I would have used the passenger side as my driver's side is getting very full of wires at this point. (WB wires, Amp wires, and some other stereo wires... plus was was there stock.)

wulfstan

4EVRJAM
Apr 2, 2005
Chesapeake, VA
GrimJack, what do you think the negative effects of running on outside? Picture shows channel and only exposed section would be toward the rear by the first exhaust. Then just route up through floor of trunk. If you had to do it again, would you? I plan to run 2 amps, 2 subs. I don't know which is more advantageous.

suprabottomha7qz.jpg

SupraMario

I think it was the google
Mar 30, 2005
The Farm
wulfstan said:
GrimJack, what do you think the negative effects of running on outside? Picture shows channel and only exposed section would be toward the rear by the first exhaust. Then just route up through floor of trunk. If you had to do it again, would you? I plan to run 2 amps, 2 subs. I don't know which is more advantageous.

i wouldnt run it outside, for many reasons. weather, 2 rocks could evitualy chip the ruber coating away, what if u get a short, u got to jack ur car up to get to it. it would be a lot easier to un it under the carpet or other ways inside the car, just my $0.02

bluemax

The Family Man
Mar 30, 2005
Orange County, CA
If you are considering running the wiring with the fuel lines, that could be a real bad idea in an accident or if something came up under the car and ruptured the fuel lines. The high current wiring would also get torn and probably short out and spark. This could cause a big fire under you car.

Run the wires under the carpet. Its really not that difficult.
But I don't know about 4 gage wiring. That had to be difficult to get it ran in the right places so it doesn't get damaged or causes huge bumps.

Jeff Lange

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 29, 2005
Calgary, Canada
jefflange.ca
I didn't pull any carpet or my seat or passender side kick panel stuff...

I ran the wires through the wirewall behind the glovebox, up through the center console, then down the center of the car underneath the carpet under the armrest part, then back under the rear seats into the trunk.

I ran all my wiring to the trunk under there. Seemed easy enough to me.