5.0 supra its a comin

mcpcola

7M's = Peoples Champ
Jul 4, 2005
Greater Gulf Coast
ok so my motor blew and i am sick of this hg problems and want more power so i am swapping out a 5.0 out of a 87 cougar xr7 this thing is going to move cause the 4400 pound cougar gets nasty with it so drop the weight and there ya go

M

Makavelli

mcpcola said:
ok so my motor blew and i am sick of this hg problems and want more power so i am swapping out a 5.0 out of a 87 cougar xr7 this thing is going to move cause the 4400 pound cougar gets nasty with it so drop the weight and there ya go

Why not just buy a Cougar? A Supra with a crappy Cougar engine ain't a Supra, it's a dressed up Cougar.

I don't get it...I've heard of a lot of cats stickin Chevy engines in these cars...Why not take care of your engine and drive a REAL Supra? :nono:

mkIIIman089

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Ohio
:werd: Mixing the scum of American bigger is better engines with our Supras should be a crime.... I'm sorry, but you should suck it up and build a monster 7M instead.

No one who has done a HG right ever seems ro have problems later on...

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
You won't find much support for that idea here, I'm afraid. While a domestic engine swap done well will give you some things, it will also cost a lot more than you think - considerably more than building a 700 rwhp 7M.

abustiffy

Apr 13, 2005
in a house
wow. I love this mentality. Inatead of encouraging creativity, it gets steifled. Seeing how cheap US v8 parts are and saying a reliable 700hp 7m can be built for less is just nonsense. Cost of the actual swap may be more if you dont do work yourself but internal parts and things of the sort are much cheaper. I agree it isnt for everyone, but it is for some.

M

Makavelli

abustiffy said:
wow. I love this mentality. Inatead of encouraging creativity, it gets steifled. Seeing how cheap US v8 parts are and saying a reliable 700hp 7m can be built for less is just nonsense. Cost of the actual swap may be more if you dont do work yourself but internal parts and things of the sort are much cheaper. I agree it isnt for everyone, but it is for some.

Creativity is one thing, but you're talkin bout guttin a Supra in throwin in Cougar engine. That's ghetto. May as well buy a frikin kit car.

SupraMario

I think it was the google
Mar 30, 2005
The Farm
CtSupra said:
YOUR GOD DAMN RIGHT MY FRIEND!

This is an Mkiii, not some ricers wet dream. Most of us here try to preserve the Mkiii with factory originality. Leave the American v-8 swaps to the rx-7s.

*SLAP*

Damn straight MKIIIs are getting rare and its bad enough that most dont run from people not taking care of them, let alone trashin the orginal engine and dropin in a domestic.

KeithH

Mar 31, 2005
Portland, OR
you know... I had a friend ask me a question the other day and I didn't know how to answer it.

The question starts out like this:

"If the MkIII guys are swapping in 1J and 2J motors, and some guys even swap in small block V8s..."

and continues with:

"... why don't MkIII guys swap in a nice V8 from a Lexus?"

This got me thinking. Why not?!? Wouldn't a nice V8 from a Lexus be a better choice than some other V8?

Anyone?

Once I am finished with my Supra I plan to build a nice Hot Rod. Of course I saw what they did with that Lexus Rod a few years back and that really appealed to me.

When I told my friend that is what I wanted to do he said that the Hot Rod guys would not accept this "bastardization". I replied "Who T F cares? It is my car and that is what I want."

So... has anyone looked into doing a nice Lexus V8 in their Supra?

KeithH

spipedong

Level 2 Rythym Rogue
Apr 2, 2005
Eugene, OR
There's a guy in australia who's done it. I wish I hadn't lost the link.

BTW, if "makavelli" doesn't imply "ghetto" I don't know what does.

supradan22

NA->TER
May 20, 2005
ORLANDO FL
Didnt that guy do that with a turbo A supra as well I wouldnt do that with a Supra but there are some crazy swaps like the Monster Swap with the miata and they drop the 5.0 mustang motor in it. But personally Id rather drop a rotary in it.

Maybe we could drop a rotary motor in the supras lol j/k

Ne0z

Apr 2, 2005
Burnsville, Minnesota, United States
KeithH said:
you know... I had a friend ask me a question the other day and I didn't know how to answer it.

The question starts out like this:

"If the MkIII guys are swapping in 1J and 2J motors, and some guys even swap in small block V8s..."

and continues with:

"... why don't MkIII guys swap in a nice V8 from a Lexus?"

This got me thinking. Why not?!? Wouldn't a nice V8 from a Lexus be a better choice than some other V8?

Anyone?

Once I am finished with my Supra I plan to build a nice Hot Rod. Of course I saw what they did with that Lexus Rod a few years back and that really appealed to me.

When I told my friend that is what I wanted to do he said that the Hot Rod guys would not accept this "bastardization". I replied "Who T F cares? It is my car and that is what I want."

So... has anyone looked into doing a nice Lexus V8 in their Supra?

KeithH

lmao, i just said that... 1uz-fe

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
The 1UZ has been done several times now, it works very well from what I understand. I haven't heard of anyone putting some killer HP down with the Lexus engine - yet. I heard that the fellow in Australia was planning on adding a couple turbos, so it'll happen sooner or later.

I'm not saying that building a domestic performance engine is more expensive than building a performance 7M. I'm saying that building AND installing a domestic engine into a Supra chassis, especially if you like things like power steering and A/C, or have to build a bellhousing from scratch, or adapt a domestic auto tranny to fit our chassis, etc, etc. Never mind the wiring to make all your gauges work - or do you just replace them all with aftermarket? Sounds like more money...

M

Makavelli

spipedong said:
There's a guy in australia who's done it. I wish I hadn't lost the link.

BTW, if "makavelli" doesn't imply "ghetto" I don't know what does.

Then you don't know what does. Just cause one grew up in the projects and loves urban music dosn't make him ghetto. Droppin a crappy US engine in a Supra cause you cant afford to tweak/take care of your Supra engine, that's ghetto. I've got almost all of Pac's CDs. I love rap (though a lot of the new stuff sucks). Am I ghetto, no.

U H8rs alwayz be trippin, talkin that rap sux shizzle. Yall be H8N on rap, but u bumpin that whack ass Bon Jovi an sh**.

There, do I live up to your sterotype now?

Thug Life Baaabiieeee