Really crazy power steering problem

NJSUPRA

Banned
Apr 1, 2005
NJ
I just installed an aftermarket aluminum p/s res. with the same dimensions as the stocker and same size feed and return line. If I start the car and so much as touch the steering wheel it will violently start turning left and right with great force, and start shaking left and right like crazy. SO hard that I cant even get a grip of the wheel. I figured at first it was air in the system but ive tried getting bleeding with no luck. Anyone else ever have this problem? Please help, thanks

- Steve

Last edited:

miggles

i wasnt speeding officer
Jun 3, 2005
perth West Australia
sounds like its possessed.Call a priest and get her exorsisted.:evil2:

Have u tried to put the standard ps resivour back on? see if that changes anything.

lagged

1991 1JZ
Mar 30, 2005
new rochelle
the resevior shouldnt have any affect on the power steering, so long as you keep to the factory dimensions (close is good enough) with regards to the feed and return.

sathu

Apr 20, 2005
SJ, CA
Now why did you put tranny in there instead of using something like valvoline PS fluid? I replaced my oil tube 3 days ago and replaced the fluid with valvoline max life ps and it make sound when you turn it on but it doesn't shake. Just turn the wheel left and right to bleed the air out, did about two dozen turns or more untill it stop making the weird sound when you turn. Try using ps fluid instead of tranny fluid and see if that fix it.

Supra Blues

Virgin Booster
Mar 30, 2005
Supramania
sathu said:
Now why did you put tranny in there instead of using something like valvoline PS fluid? I replaced my oil tube 3 days ago and replaced the fluid with valvoline max life ps and it make sound when you turn it on but it doesn't shake. Just turn the wheel left and right to bleed the air out, did about two dozen turns or more untill it stop making the weird sound when you turn. Try using ps fluid instead of tranny fluid and see if that fix it.

Look on the resivoir, it says to use Dexron II or III (don't remember which) automatic transmission fluid.

Supra Blues

Virgin Booster
Mar 30, 2005
Supramania
In addition, is the new resivoir big enough to hold enough fluid for the demands of the PS system? You could be running it dry. When I finished my rebuild, I did not put enough in and I heard this sucking noise. The steering wheel was very jerky and hard to move, but it didn't move on its own.

sathu

Apr 20, 2005
SJ, CA
The lable on my tank is still there but the ink is half gone, especially where it say what to use so I use PS fluid instead. When I refill the ps fluid, I think it use almost 3/4 quart or more.

lagged

1991 1JZ
Mar 30, 2005
new rochelle
sathu said:

BECAUSE THE POWER STEERING SYSTEM ON OUR CARS WAS DESIGNED TO USE DEXRON III FLUID.

IT EVEN SAYS SO ON THE P/S RESEVOIR CAP.

THATS WHY.