metal head gasket question

silversup

Supraluva
May 25, 2005
Philly
I ordered a cometic metal head gasket from importperformanceparts.com and in the mail I recieved a wiseco metal head gasket. Before I call them and start badgering them is this as good as a cometic? Anybody used this maker before?

rakkasan

Currahee!!
Mar 31, 2005
Fort Campbell, KY
silversup said:
I ordered a cometic metal head gasket from importperformanceparts.com and in the mail I recieved a wiseco metal head gasket. Before I call them and start badgering them is this as good as a cometic? Anybody used this maker before?

Honestly, I've never heard of it.

crf_rider

Apr 23, 2005
Portland, OR
Can you post a pic?

The cometic has a Rivit you have to grind off before installing (I have pics if anyone is interested). Chances are that cometic makes them for wiesco anyhow.

crf_rider

Apr 23, 2005
Portland, OR
I sent them the pics (or Aaron did) so they are aware of the problem.

rivit2.jpg

rivit1.jpg

After being ground off:

rivit3.jpg

suprra_girl

7M POWAH! ;)
Mar 30, 2005
Auckland, New Zealand
www.supra.co.nz
wiseco is cometic :)

just wiseco stick their name on it i believe.... i went to our performance parts shop and they told me wiseco sell mhg's... i was interested.. and then he mentioned they were cometic

so.. i assume they are the exact same thing

silversup

Supraluva
May 25, 2005
Philly
I looked at my head gasket and it does have that rivet but it also has 4 others in different places. Can those be left in there? Also, I searched and couldn't locate the post on removing the rivet. Whats the best way to remove it?

RacerXJ220

Interdimensional
Mar 30, 2005
Abalama
Mine recently came like that with the rivet. A lot of shops go through cometic HG's like hotcakes, I doubt it was one batch.

I cut the metal piece off completely. I did not want any of that material causing any variations in clamping pressure between the head and block.

silversup

Supraluva
May 25, 2005
Philly
thankx guys for all the help. my rebuilt head and cometic gasket are torqued down very nicely with the arps. that rivet came out with some pliers and a dremel. now my attention can go to the rest of the build up.