Exhaust systems

grimace65

Apr 3, 2005
so cal
is there a difference between a greddy (namebrand) exhaust system and a muffler shop that gots pipes with the same size?

DrakeMK3

"The Duck"
Mar 30, 2005
Knoxville, TN
The muffler shop will probably crush bend the pipe, whereas, the greddy, hks, apexi, etc. systems are all mandrel bent and yeild more power.

mkIIIman089

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Ohio
Yes. The name brand will be of much higher quality I believe. They will use mandrel instead of crush bends (in most situations I don't think exhaust shops have mandrel benders) and you might not get the sound out of the system you buy and have built at the exhaust shop. It is much cheaper IIRC, but I think that the name brand exhausts are worth the extra cash.

MA717MGTE

boostaholic
Apr 2, 2005
Bristol VA
if one is worried about crush or manderal bend.. just call the exhaust shop!

since i have moved, i have located a very reputable shop in Bistol Va, w/a mandural bender able to do 2.5, 3 & 4" exhaust!

whitemk3

Mar 30, 2005
east TN
MA717MGTE said:
if one is worried about crush or manderal bend.. just call the exhaust shop!

since i have moved, i have located a very reputable shop in Bistol Va, w/a mandural bender able to do 2.5, 3 & 4" exhaust!

Were is this shop at i live in johnson city .

MA717MGTE

boostaholic
Apr 2, 2005
Bristol VA
whitemk3 said:
Were is this shop at i live in johnson city .

state street.. named benny's.. pm me.. im looking for some supra peole in the area.. i just moved to bristol! (trying to get my MKIII here too)

ok just called them, no mandural bender, just a normal bender (dosnt place kinks in the pipe) there # is 276-466-5001

Jeff Lange

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 29, 2005
Calgary, Canada
jefflange.ca
Mostly sound.

A good aftermarket exhaust system will be tuned to cancel out resonations caused by the engines, and will have a resonator as well as a muffler.

Most custom exhaust setups don't use a resonator, and end up causing spots in the RPM range with a lot of resonating frequencies... doesn't sound too good, and gets annoying real quick IMO.

Ckanderson

Supramania Contributor
Apr 1, 1983
The beach
Thier is a difference, both in quality and sound. A aftermarket system (expecialy really good ones [Supersprint]) is designed for that car, with that engine. If it is properly designed, thier will be no resonances, and it will fit perfect. I have had custom exhausts on car's before, and they cant hold a flame to the way a good high quality exhaust sounds.