fuel gauge acting weird

Charlie97L

Jul 16, 2005
Clarksburg, MD
ok so i fill my tank up, the pump clicks off, and the gauge only goes up to 3/4 full. and acts like the car is actually 3/4 full. it's not like, hanging at 3/4 full like the tank was actually 100% full and the gauge was stuck. i have no idea what's going on. is there some trick to filling up that i've missed? i didn't think i was THAT big of a dumb*** to not know how to put, uhm, GAS in my car.

ps. call me sadistic, but i love having these little issues to figure out. :)

Anomili

Obsessed
Apr 9, 2005
In an Igloo
www.cardomain.com
My dad's BMW makes the pump click after only 5-10 litres get in. I usually just keep pumping until the pump clicks more then once or I've filled up enough so that I know the tank is full. However, I don't really know what would stop your tank from letting you fill up.

Dave

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
How much do you put in from empty to get the pump to click? How far does this get you? You could have a dying sending unit in the tank, or your float could be leaking and half full of fuel, causing a low reading.

lagged

1991 1JZ
Mar 30, 2005
new rochelle
hah. just, hah.

next time LOOK at the pump and see how many <insert regional method of fluid volume measurement here> you have put into the car.

albertmdh

Apr 7, 2005
Fredericksburg, VA
mine does the same thing, but when you run it past empty, it takes around 18 gallons, its probably the sensor, doesnt seem like a time critical fix to me though.

Jetfixr757

Sleeper
Mar 30, 2005
Cocoa, Florida
These cars sometimes the fuel gages get sluggish and it is a problem with the sender, there is a quick fix for it but after a while it gets sluggish again.
William 89T

mkIIIman089

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Ohio
My sender guage is accurate at fill up... but thats about it. Driving (since its very hilly around here) it always will go to a low spot and seem to hang on it until the car is level and parked like over night for instance. Where it will read like 1/8th or so higher.

I don't actually pump the gas ever tho living in Jersey every gas station is full service...

bandit

supra enthusiast
May 16, 2005
southeast missouri
adjust the sender in the tank and make sure is has contact through all motion, i did that and it fixed the problem.

Attachments

• FI_092.gif
    FI_092.gif
    29.2 KB · Views: 28