Slotted Rotors..Direction

JD7Monster

Jul 6, 2005
Orlando, FL
Alright.. My CD/Slotted rotors just came in..
Now.. I've seen diff cars with those rotors facing different ways..
Can someone tell me which one is right in my crappy diagram?

A or B..?

sm_photo_missing.jpg

SupraMario

I think it was the google
Mar 30, 2005
The Farm
that seems to not make sence tho, because would that not cause as much friction and slow down the stoping distance?

JD7Monster

Jul 6, 2005
Orlando, FL
I'm getting replies before I can reply..lol I'll probly end up going with what both links say, I trust brembo.. also the "Vanes" are strait, and according to brembo that means they're non-directional.. i'll use that

tlo86

Ninja Editor 'Since 05'
Jul 24, 2005
Colorado
i didn't consider this when buying my brembos... i'll do what brembo says and go with b ;)

K

karaki

"All curved vane rotors are installed with the vanes pointing to the back of the car...to be more specific...if you put a pencil in the vane(top of the rotor)....the pencil will be pointing to the back of the vehicle."

According to Rory at Coleman Racing

K

karaki

Thanks...looks like it's time for you to get another one. As much as love my MK3 with a passion i wouldn't be able to live without my mk2...completely different beast...I miss her :cry: ...been off the road since october for a full restoration and some major @$$ upgrades...ciao.

**sorry...didn't mean to hijack this thread**

bluemax

The Family Man
Mar 30, 2005
Orange County, CA
The vanes are on the inside of the rotors.
The slots on the outside of the rotor are not the vanes.
So you might want to check to make sure the slots are in the same direction as the vanes. I think the practice it to slot the rotor in the direction of the vane, but that doesn't mean the shop that made your rotors did.
Most rotors are not directionally vaned.
In that case, it really doesn't, matter which way the slots go. I'm told the standard practice is for the top of the slot, when the slot is at the 12 o'clock position (outer edge of the slot nearest the outer edge of the rotor), to be the leading edge as you drive forward.

JD7Monster

Jul 6, 2005
Orlando, FL
The vanes are strait up, so i guess it really doesnt matter which way i put it..

I'm gonna end up putting it the way brembo, baer, and bluemax said.. style B.

Troyota

I Love What You Do For Me
Jul 28, 2005
Roswell NM
The MKIII's Rotors are not directionally vained...I have mine set-up w/ style A because they are both slotted (curved slots) and cross drilled and I think it looks better that way. My AE86 has just slotted rotors and they are set up as style B because the slots are straight and are designed to scrape the surface of the pad to make a clean mating surface to the pad to rotor contact.

1TuffSupra

Sho' Nuff
Jul 11, 2005
Raleigh, North Carolina, United States
It depends on the style of rotor, like it was mentioned before, you should orient the rotors in the direction so that the vanes (inside the rotor) will allow heat/air to escape the easiest. For Baer brakes (style B) it looks like it is off, but for their rotors that is the way they are installed since the vanes inside the rotor flow in the opposite direction.