So whats the diagnosis doc...

marcbeatty

Apr 1, 2005
Small town, IN
Ok, heres whats up. Last night after some hard driving, I turn around and start to take off in 1st. I hear this knocking noise...so I immediately thought rod knock, but I have searched and have had a hard time finding detailed threads about symptoms. It would seem obvious I know, but heres the thing. When the knocking starts, I can feel each knock in my shifter (5spd w58). I was hoping that it might be something that is a little less fatal than a rod knock, but also something that might be easier to fix. Any advice will be appreciated.

Marc

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
Rod knock usually cannot be felt in the shifter until it's REALLY serious. Rod knock usually starts at about 2800 rpm, and can be heard best when the engine is transferring from load to coast or vice versa. Sounds like someone hammering on the block with a ball peen hammer. If the knock is a rod bearing, which is the most likely, pulling the plug wire on the offending cylinder will make the engine run like crap but the sound will go away.

Things that you can feel through the shifter... the only one I have run into is a loose main pulley. Grab a 19mm socket and a big breaker bar, put the car in gear with the E-brake on tight and see if that bolt is coming loose.