Grimm, any new imput on your new turbo?

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
No fuel mods - unless you count the MAFT's ability to throw more fuel in throught he stock system.

It's great. Spool is slower an more controllable - my stock turbo would go from vacuum to 17psi in a fraction of a second, this one takes a few seconds and gives you a much smoother acceleration.

The old stock unit, you could feel it starting to lose power around 5500 rpm - made it easy to know when to shift. The new one will bounce off the rev limiter before it starts to lose power - so I've bounced off the rev limiter a bunch of times by accident now. :) Having that longer powerband up top is NICE.

Put it this way - I won't go back to a stock turbo by choice.

91T breezen'

ROMNEY/RYAN 2012
Apr 4, 2005
NOYFB!
Hey there Rakkasan,
I think Grim has the same turbo I have, a 57 trim CT. I also had my exhaust side clipped 10 degree's. I have a Lexus maf, aeromotive vfpr, mbc, and have the wastegate shimmed with 3 washers. Boosting moderately low (14-15lbs) on 92 octane, I rolled 304whp, 291trq. That's through the A340 Auto, mind you, so it would have been well over 350whp with a R154. I'm getting 680 injectors, and a Walbro 255 pump next. I also have a Turbo builder, that fabbed up a custom waste gate actuator, that will allow for about 22-24lbs on the CT. I haven't messed with that yet because of my lack of fuel upgrades. The 57 trim pulls hard all the way to the redline, helped out by the Bic DDP also, it was a pleasant surprise over stock power. It was a good upgrade for the cost. Also did braided oil lines, makes the install, much less painful!

Later,
Tom

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
Tom and I have the same turbo, except mine is minus the exhaust clip. I'm running a bit more boost on mine, 18-20psi on 94 octane. I run a MAFT plus a 3inch GM MAF instead of the Lexus AFM, stock fuel system, BIC divorced downpipe, and a Dr. Jonez manual boost controller. That's about it for power mods.

VanSupra

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Van,B.C.
GrimJack said:
Tom and I have the same turbo, except mine is minus the exhaust clip. I'm running a bit more boost on mine, 18-20psi on 94 octane. I run a MAFT plus a 3inch GM MAF instead of the Lexus AFM, stock fuel system, BIC divorced downpipe, and a Dr. Jonez manual boost controller. That's about it for power mods.

Come on Dave we know you're hiding the bottle behind the back seat..lol..What about those 1j's eh??

:naughty:

spipedong

Level 2 Rythym Rogue
Apr 2, 2005
Eugene, OR
Nah, it's gotta be the hidden hitch that makes it so great. :D

How long have you had the 57 trim Dave, and how long are you expecting it to last? Thats the same setup I was also looking at.

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
I've had it now for... a month? Close to that anyhow. I didn't get it upgraded, I picked it up from a local fellow who did that and was going to put it on his car, but decided to pay some bill instead. I'm pretty sure it was done at that Turbo shop in the same building as Kinetic... ADP? I think that's the name...

I honestly expect it to last a long time. I've been keeping track of how long various trims seem to last, and the 57 doesn't appear to have any longevity issues. Plus, to be perfectly honest, I rarely drive the car hard - now and again when I'm out with the Supra crew during a meet, and every so often on the road - but I don't visit the track very often, and I'm not a lead foot driver. :)