Gauging Interest : Complete Custom made dahboard

Status
Not open for further replies.

tte

Breaking In - in progress
Mar 30, 2005
Northern California
Hi all,
I can make a blank and then from there I will change it to suit.

I think the stock dash looks old fashioned and boring. I want to change it so that it compares to later model cars now. I kinda dislike our big square switches. It would look nicer with smaller switches. Could even make allowance for round switches. I think having a round shifter hole for manual cars would be kewl. I am now implementing the round holes on my center consoles which i now make. Another good idea is to gage pods built into the dashboard...My plan is to do fabricate a dashboard acccording to what each person wants. If he or she wants a triple gage pod in the center of the dash then I will make it built in.

I will welcome ideas on what needs to be changed. I bought some magazines to look at dashboards.... so if any of you hace pics of kewl dashs or ideas feel free to pitch in.

Cheers,
Roy

tte

Mar 30, 2005
Northern California
Yes, price will differ but i do not think by much...

Like currently I do the center consoles as per what people want but i still charge a flat rate...which is ok becoz it is a small item.

The dashboard is alot bigger. I will get back to you all with a price...

Cheers,
Roy

americanjebus

Mr. Evergreen
Mar 30, 2005
wa.
one thing you could adjust or change is the arc it makes over the guages, it just kind of goes horizontal till it reaches the boost then it shoots down sharply and makes it a weird angle, look at the mustang dash and see how that would look or a 3000gt style with the guages in little tunnels to avoid glare. the issue i have on the interstate is when i take off my targa top the glare on the dash covers up allot of my lights and doodads like my ect or overdrive light and sometimes causes glare over speedo.

just a thought.

Zach

ECUMaster USA
Apr 6, 2005
TX
I think you've bitten off more than you can chew. Well, that is if you're going to tackle a full dashboard. I have no idea what your experience is with fiberglass, but fit and finish will be a near insurmountable task with a full dashboard. A new trim piece that goes around the shifter and radio is a pretty tricky job, but would be a great help in mounting aftermarket electronics and whatnot. Have fun!

rakkasan

Currahee!!
Mar 31, 2005
Fort Campbell, KY
Zach said:
I think you've bitten off more than you can chew. Well, that is if you're going to tackle a full dashboard. I have no idea what your experience is with fiberglass, but fit and finish will be a near insurmountable task with a full dashboard. A new trim piece that goes around the shifter and radio is a pretty tricky job, but would be a great help in mounting aftermarket electronics and whatnot. Have fun!

Really? Why would you jump to that conclusion?

Yawgmoth

Gonzo apprentice
Mar 31, 2005
Davenport, Iowa, United States
^^^^ becuase he's a noob? J/K I think that a dash is a little extreme for me, but I commend the effort and if the finished product exceeds what I have envisioned at the moment I could still be tempted....
I really didn't think I'd want a center console dash piece but now that you mentioned making the whole round for manual shifters I think sometime soon I will invest in one-same with a side pillar gauge pod. But, cosmetic stuff will have to wait for a few months.

I say go for it-it has potential to sell.

Zach

ECUMaster USA
Apr 6, 2005
TX
I "jump" to that conclusion because the dashboard is one of the most ridiculously complex pieces on the car. You've probably got fifty mounting points/brackets/tabs/holes that all have to line up properly, not to mention the fit at the edge of the dash. I've never seen anybody pull off a piece that complex in a proper manner. Like I said, unless you have EXTENSIVE fiberglass experience, this is going to be a rough job. Ask Duane how easy it is......

I'm not being rude, I'm just giving you my honest opinion. I've done my fair share of fiberglass work and know how frustrating it can be. I'm not trying to discourage you, but it's going to take a long, long time to get it right.

bluemax

The Family Man
Mar 30, 2005
Orange County, CA
I agree that taking on the full cockpit dash is a huge undertaking.
But I don't see what the problem with fit would be.
The existing plastic from Toyota fits.
Some of it is hard plastic and some of it is more flexable plastic. But it still fits.
I for one would go for a new dash.
Would you keep the same gauge cluster or go for all aftermarket single guages? The later would get rather expensive, but would be 100% custom.

tte

Mar 30, 2005
Northern California
Hi,

Well I understand that this is a big job and took take a long time and it is not worth it if only 1-2 people want it.

As for the making the trim piece thar goes around the radio and shifter I have already made a few and now sell them.And as I do more and more I will get more creative and make different designs and better quality.

If i get stuck I can always ask friends who have their own fiberglass business and have made racecars, covette bodies and interiors...I have actually seen how they do complete cars from exterior to interior. Its alot of work but not that hard.I also have very experienced people from work who can pull off almost anything. I have seen them build molds and fabricate products for companies around the world and esp for the military.

So in conclusion I think it can be done.It may be hard for one man but easy for another man. One man's poison is another man's meat.

I will go to the junkyard this week and pull out a complete dashboard and see what I am jumpin into.

Cheers,
Roy

Zach

ECUMaster USA
Apr 6, 2005
TX
Cool, sounds like you have the capabilities/facilities to do so. Interest will all depend on price, that's the one recurring trend among supra owners. Something more simple that might generate a bit of interest would be an insert that replaces the stock gauge cluster with a panel where you can mount aftermarket gauges. Good luck with the project and let us know how it goes!

Stretch

Tallest MK3 driver ever!!
Mar 30, 2005
Toronto, Ontario
I bet for a full dash, as long as it fit well and the buyer found it aesthetically pleasing, could fetch atleast $1000 US dollars. Possibly around $1500? Fact I say that is because of the massive labour used to create a full dash, this ain't no din sized bezel piece. I bet it would be awesome fun to build. i am tempted to try myself :naughty: You mock it all up on a factory dash, so that it is exactly the right width and the holes are exactly perfect, then you cover with fiberglass to make the mold, then use the mold to make a fiberglass copy. it'd be light, completely functional, and would be wicked fun. I wana do it now! Anyone got a dash in the ottawa area ?
Good luck bud,
eric

ps. You MUST show pics when you do it, or the forum will hate you :biglaugh: Really tho, good luck.

tte

Mar 30, 2005
Northern California
Yes, would be really kewl to pull it off.

But I do not think people woiuld pay $1000-$1500 for a dash when they can buy a big intercooler or big turbo. So I have to build it well but also make it economical so people can afford it.I do not think I would charge that much.

Cheers,
Roy

Yawgmoth

Gonzo apprentice
Mar 31, 2005
Davenport, Iowa, United States
Good point Roy. and if you assume people are looking to drop money on the way their car looks, inside or out, 1000 bucks can buy you a body kit...

Another problem will be shipping too, I'd imagine that will drive up costs as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.