How to jack up trans.

mkIIIman089

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Ohio
Hey guys, I'm replacing my clutch and I've got everything down accept jacking up the transmission to start to remove it. I was going to use my floor jack origionally but I realize now that it is very risky. Doing the differential with it was dificult. I was wondering if there was any way other then buying a floor transmission jack to safely remove it. I've heard "floor jack and a piece of wood" or something like that before, but I have no idea what that means. Any input is apprecieted.

I really need help I have to get this finished by tomorrow night. Thanks!

northsupra

Normally Insane
Mar 30, 2005
Norway
Do you know some one that have a beefy jack, or one with a big disk to putt the tranny in?
It can be done with a floor jack, but get yourself a nice and big jack of some kind. A little floorjack is just going to make it extremly hard. And a r154 is not what you want to fall on you.

Supraholic

Mar 31, 2005
Houston, TX
I used two hydraulic jacks. One supported the front of the jack at and the other on the back. kinda let them down at the same time.. i did it very slowly to prevent it from dropping the tranny. When both jacks were down to the minimum, I rolled the jack on to my creeper, which was placed right next to the jacks. then, pulled the creeper with the jack out of the car.. putting it back was similar..

souprat

Mar 30, 2005
fairfax VA
^^ yeah same here. two scizzors jacks, one in front, one in back. a buddy helping is a must. the r-154 is also not that heavy so when you get it down you can just pick it up.

wh0wants2know

Apr 4, 2005
seattle
I got a giant 7 ton SUV/Truck high lift (24") jack that works pretty well. wasn't too expensive, it's low profile enough that it fits under my car with H&R's and tokico blues and the thing jacks my car up enough in about three full pumps. it works fine on the tranny.

mkIIIman089

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Ohio
souprat said:
^^ yeah same here. two scizzors jacks, one in front, one in back. a buddy helping is a must. the r-154 is also not that heavy so when you get it down you can just pick it up.
Thats exactly wht I was thinking a little while ago today. Accept I wanted to have them roll somehowso I could just pull it right out. A skateboard came to mind... but I'm not cool enough to own one even.

wh0wants2know

Apr 4, 2005
seattle
mkIIIman089 said:
Thats exactly wht I was thinking a little while ago today. Accept I wanted to have them roll somehowso I could just pull it right out. A skateboard came to mind... but I'm not cool enough to own one even.
a creeper works even better than a skateboard. can get a cheap one for $20 at a local auto store, maybe even less than that.

mkIIIman089

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Ohio
Well, it turned out me and a buddy wrestled it off the engine with the floor jack and brute force; it wasn't hard at all, the trans balanced very well on the jack even after the trans slid a little bit while pulling it out. Not much effort was needed from my friend to keep it upright while I positioned and controller the jack...

tlo86

Ninja Editor 'Since 05'
Jul 24, 2005
Colorado
call me crazy.... but i am 80% sure they do have a spacific jack you can use for transmissions... you can rent it from any parts store for 35$

ma71supraturbo

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Redding, CA
www.geocities.com
The first couple times I did it I used jacks, but I've found it is easier if you just get under it bench-press style and pull it out/slowly let it down (then wiggle your way out). The transmission is not as heavy at you'd think.