Idling Problems

G

Got_Supra?

ok i've got an '90 engine in an 86 body, not sure if it helps but whatever i'm letting you know for some reason my car will randomly die after a short period of driving regularly i've tried almost everything i could with the thing, checked the vacumes, those are fine, the wires are good plugs are new fuses working and it still freaking randomely dies. anyone have any suggestions? I've been teetering on whether or not if i should stay with this car or buy the 98 model i found for 8 grand.

S

supranam MK3

I've got the same problem on my 1990 2.5 TT,if you do find a solution could you let me know.This happens after I take it for a fast drive and come to a red light it just dies but starts up first time again.

MDCmotorsports

Offical SM Expert: Turbochargers
SM Expert
Mar 31, 2005
Indy 500
www.MDCmotorsports.com
Got_Supra? said:
ok i've got an '90 engine in an 86 body, not sure if it helps but whatever i'm letting you know for some reason my car will randomly die after a short period of driving regularly i've tried almost everything i could with the thing, checked the vacumes, those are fine, the wires are good plugs are new fuses working and it still freaking randomely dies. anyone have any suggestions? I've been teetering on whether or not if i should stay with this car or buy the 98 model i found for 8 grand.

Sounds like a short some where and a bad ground from the battery. My car just got through doing the same thing.

And NO you didn't find a 1998 mk4 for $8k. Let me guess the seller told you this.... "Well the car is located in the United States. I assure you there is nothing wrong with the car. It is very fast and mechanically sound. I recently had to move to the UK on business. I can sell you the car through SQUARETRADE so you dont' have to worry about loosing money. Send me $4k first, then $4k when you get the car...."

MDCmotorsports

Offical SM Expert: Turbochargers
SM Expert
Mar 31, 2005
Indy 500
www.MDCmotorsports.com
supranam MK3 said:
I've got the same problem on my 1990 2.5 TT,if you do find a solution could you let me know.This happens after I take it for a fast drive and come to a red light it just dies but starts up first time again.

Open BOV venting to atmosphere.

G

Got_Supra?

MDCmotorsports said:
Sounds like a short some where and a bad ground from the battery. My car just got through doing the same thing.

And NO you didn't find a 1998 mk4 for $8k. Let me guess the seller told you this.... "Well the car is located in the United States. I assure you there is nothing wrong with the car. It is very fast and mechanically sound. I recently had to move to the UK on business. I can sell you the car through SQUARETRADE so you dont' have to worry about loosing money. Send me $4k first, then $4k when you get the car...."
actually yes i did find it for 8k i personally know the owner and have test driven the car nothing's wrong with it other then body damage. Thats the blue book price on the car that carmax gave him.

89MkIII

targa'd tank
Mar 30, 2005
WI
Yeah I remember that Ebay scam, is that as#pipe still trying to pull that one?

Anyways - back to the topic. This problem was posted earlier on this site under the heading "car died". The typical consensus is the ISC - idle speed control. Find it and do a quick clean, it gets sooty. I'm having the same problem w/ a 2003 Mits EVO here at work. Do a hard run, shift it into neutral, cost and dies.