The First $300 Goes Where?

M

Makavelli

Ok, I've got in narrowed down to 2 rides. An 87 MKIII NA and an 86.5. I can put about $300 a month into her, where should I start???

I<3Supras

Drft What do u mean drft?
Mar 31, 2005
Southern, Ca
I would start with maintenance check if anything is leaking. Is it putting out any codes? Oil good? any cracked hoses? oil and any other kind of Leaks. So Basicly what Grim Jack wrote....

tlo86

Ninja Editor 'Since 05'
Jul 24, 2005
Colorado
GrimJack said:
Maintenance. Hoses, gaskets, fix any leaks, etc.

Exactly. Just make sure it will run and everything is in good condition.. Everything.. check all fluids... and consumption.. make sure you will have a running car before you spend too much on it :p

turbomk3

Apr 1, 2005
i bought a turbo timer, exhaust, intake, and manual boost controler first and did the sogi short shift mod and its quick enough to start off...but make sure you have a legit running supra, now that i did the hg i am upgrading fuel and turbo now...start small and prevent probs before they happen when you add more power becasue they will be BIG problems!

L

lanky189

Enraged said:
save it and buy a turbo car.

I agree with enraged...and not to be a smart ass either.. save it tho..

you're gonna want to go faster...and the easiest, least expensive way in the long run, is just to get a turbo car to start with.
If you absolutely cannot wait...then save your 300 a month...find a turbo parts car or something..

its worth the wait... i <3 boost

supraman7mgte

Shut up,bitch!!
Apr 1, 2005
Sunny California
definately get a turbo car,then do all the general "must do" maintenance items. replace anything cracked,broken,or with question about funcionality. buying hop-ups and performance parts won't do much good if it is going to make something else fail down the road.

Eric_Odie

Apr 17, 2005
Fremont, Ca.
www.cardomain.com
if you want to stick with the Non-Turbo Supra, then i too reccomend spending the first monthly 300 dollars on Maintenance! Why fix up something with a bunch of goodies that'll die sooner...

but i also agree with going the Turbo Route, instead of buying a whole Turbo Supra tho, you could just by the neccessities for the conversion.

w8me1st

boost addict
Apr 5, 2005
Last Exit Before Hell, Arizona
assuming both n/a and turbo cars are stock, start with a turbo car. not trying to bash but i see the few n/a drivers that plan on doing a turbo swap. and reality is, it cost more to do the conversion ($$$dont 4 get about all the items to complete the conversion$$$). not to mention total hours of your life too. and thats just the begining of the itch you'll have afterwards. if the price of a 87-92GTE is out of reach, then wait a little longer and you'll be happier in the long run. luckily for me i don't have the balding gene, cause i've pulled all my hair out (but it keeps coming back) numerous times ironing out bugs. i cant even imagine the torture one goes thru starting from n/a to turbo. trust me on this one, you will get the bug once you start modding any turbo car. and yes there are rewards for time and $$$ invested in modding any car, just dont go to far back (refering to starting point). invest your time on improving todays methods and ideas. just my 2psi...

M

Makavelli

Tell me where I can get a turbo with 90k miles for $1000 bucks and I'm all ears...no? Didn't think so. I did however find an NA for that price, and it's already passed all but one (crucial) inspection. I found a turbo engine for $799. It's the labor that'll run me on the swap that's pushed back my time table. In the meantime I'm lookin for some quick reasonable ways to improve HP. Thanks for all the advice.

americanjebus

Mr. Evergreen
Mar 30, 2005
wa.
yes everyone is on the right track with maintenance. but consider turbo. :)

anyway if your gonna keep it remember its old and allot is breaking when i got mine it was a pristine condition 92 with 65k miles and in immaculate condition, i still spent $2000 on just refinishing the engine and mechanicals getting them to perfect order and perfect stock condition and only $1000 on performance hp gianing parts.

needless to say nothing failed when the performance came in, exept for the blown cat converter, heh.

and if your strapped for cash dont complain, if you really want it, it can be done, i got my car when i was 16 and had just payed for car with a paperroute and have been paying for parts and maintenance for past 2 years by washing dishes.

Supraholic

Mar 31, 2005
Houston, TX
I say.. if you can save.. get something newer than 87... i have an 87T.. well taken care of.. but still something is always broken.. damn... have put too much money into it.. older the car -- more the parts cost..