ISC Pipe

tlo86

Ninja Editor 'Since 05'
Jul 24, 2005
Colorado
This has been an issue for a while, it takes a couple of turns to start the car. but after this it will start normal for a couple of hours and then (lets say i goto a relatives house for 5 hours) it will take a couple of turns to start again. and by couple i mean the first time wont work the next will 80% of the time. not a big issue.. it just boggles me :aigo:

(thread saying isc pipe was a mistake on my part :icon_conf )

Last edited:

Mk3 TurboS

No not a "Turbo A"
Mar 31, 2005
Australia
This has been covered in another thread. At first I belive someone said it was just a case of wiggiling a certain wire, sensor or something. Then an expert stepped in and informed everyone it was due to carbon build up soaking extra fuel needed to start the car. After a couple of turn the fuel is back and boom she starts. Thats what I think I remeber. Search. It was a long thread.

tlo86

Ninja Editor 'Since 05'
Jul 24, 2005
Colorado
Mk3 TurboS said:
This has been covered in another thread. At first I belive someone said it was just a case of wiggiling a certain wire, sensor or something. Then an expert stepped in and informed everyone it was due to carbon build up soaking extra fuel needed to start the car. After a couple of turn the fuel is back and boom she starts. Thats what I think I remeber. Search. It was a long thread.

thanks i'll do that

mkIIIman089

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Ohio
Mine also does something similar; when its stone cold it takes some cranking to get it started; but its always perfectly consistant. Then after its hot, until its gets fairly cold again it will fire right nearly instantly. (assuming no heat soke) If you find the thread tlo post it back here or LMK. I'm interested as well.

sathu

Apr 20, 2005
SJ, CA
That problem is very common. For me, it was the cps sensor wire as half of the freaking wire is cut and it's exposing to water. I gotta replace that plug with new one before the entire thing come off. I also had heat soak problem and it is worst with that cps wire open. So i just did a button start and eliminate all that problem :). One problem is that because it's hooked up to a relay it take a second or two to turn the starter if I use my 850W amp too much :icon_razz .

tlo86

Ninja Editor 'Since 05'
Jul 24, 2005
Colorado
a post from before i think this is what you are talking about.

http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2557

" OK, people. Toyota (and other cars too) had a problem in the 80's with what is called "a hard start problem after sitting for a couple of hours" (actually I can't remember the real name).
Main cause: the intake valves have built up carbon deposits on the back sides. When the car sits (off) for a while, the fuel that has soaked into this carbon (like a sponge) evaporates away. Now when you go to start the car, this carbon soaks up the initial fuel coming in. (injectors spray it right on them) Thats why it will usually start the 2nd or 3rd attempt, because they have soaked up enough fuel (sponge is full) to let a full charge of fuel into the combustion chamber.

Todays solution......go to a shop and have what is called an "air induction system flush (cleaning)". They will use some very strong cleaner with their equipment, and ad a very strong fuel additive to the tank.
After that, the best tank additive is called Techron (black bottle, made by Chevron). Auto parts stores and Walmart sell it. Use as directed, on a couple of tanks. "

Last edited:

tlo86

Ninja Editor 'Since 05'
Jul 24, 2005
Colorado
and mine does usually fail the first time but always starts the second just about