Question for KS

PynkEye

Mar 30, 2005
Was wondering what happend if you cut the KS wires off ???
Will the car still start and run ??? If I understood well..they are theere to prevent detonation..so thats to much air to less gaz...so it melts the ring.
So there there for that ?

anwyways...what happens if u cut them ? and use the middle hole and put a KS there wired to ecu.

supra90turbo

shaeff is FTMFW!
Mar 30, 2005
MA, 01440
um... if you cut the wires, the ecu will go into "safe mode" and advance timing a ridiculous amount. it will have no power and you will be a sad boy.

leave them.
if there's one thing not to mess with on the 7m, it's the knock sensors.
back away from the wire cutters.

PynkEye

Mar 30, 2005
Ok welll this guy on the forum...forgot his name, said he had an empty spot in between the 2 turbo ks...think its for the na ks. He wired it to the ecu...and took the 2 wires from ecu and plugged them on that wire. He said since then, no problem...no code...runs great...been like that for 2-3 months if i remember correctly.

So im guessing his wires were fucked, and using only 1 probably not detecting knock so its runningn fine. Now im wondering...if theres a problem in cyl. 1 or 6...the middle ks wont get the signal...thus not so good lol. Its tempting..since I rewired and still have that problem..my front ks is good...that rear one..i just dont wanna take out lol...damn bitch

So is running 1 middle KS a ok idea ???

Dirgle

Conjurer of Boost
Mar 30, 2005
Pauma Valley, CA
Well the #6 cylinder does run a little hotter than the others because of the EGR equipment. So a KS in that area is good. And if you have a KS at one end of the block then you should have another one at the other end of it. Like someone said earlier, don't mess with the KS design. From what I have seen in the past with other people and ther knock sensor problem, I'm willing to bet that it is your wiring for your knock sensor, and not the rear KS. The ECU is EXTREAMLY picky about the wiring.

A couple of questions.

1. You know that there are two wires(a core wire, and a shield around that wire) inside of each of the KS wires coming off the ecu right?

2. And those two wires have to be kept separate?

3. Are your solder connections clean?

4. Did you use new KS connectors?

Don’t cut corners on this. Be Patient and take the time to do it right. Running one KS is not a good idea.

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
supra90turbo said:
um... if you cut the wires, the ecu will go into "safe mode" and advance timing a ridiculous amount. it will have no power and you will be a sad boy.

yes, it will go into safe mode, however the ECU will RETARD timing, not advance it. ( i know thats what you meant)

-shaeff

PynkEye

Mar 30, 2005
cool i probably re-rewire everything, make sure those grounds are good and all. Whats the good wire again ... R58 or Rg59 something ???