Help Vibration in Stick

Chris-Supra

Apr 1, 2005
Minneapolis/Lakeville, Minnesota
I have gradually started to get a bad vibration in the stick when I go over 50 mph, gradually increases as I go faster. Only vibrates on mid throttle, at wot it doesnt vibrate and at full decell (foot off the pedal) it doesn't. I just put in a center bearing thinking that may be it. U-joints seem solid. Its not the wheels, I checked. What could it be? perhaps the diff? This is getting frustrating, I have had this for a couple weeks now and its getting pretty bad.

Thanks a lot
Chris

Johnny Dangerously

I can eat planets
Apr 4, 2005
Corpus Christi, TX..
Chris-Supra said:
I have gradually started to get a bad vibration in the stick when I go over 50 mph, gradually increases as I go faster. Only vibrates on mid throttle, at wot it doesnt vibrate and at full decell (foot off the pedal) it doesn't. I just put in a center bearing thinking that may be it. U-joints seem solid. Its not the wheels, I checked. What could it be? perhaps the diff? This is getting frustrating, I have had this for a couple weeks now and its getting pretty bad.

Thanks a lot
Chris

could be..diff..u-joints..the actual DS or something up front..like say your Crank Pulley.

limequat

Dissident
Apr 1, 2005
Detroit
You can isolate somewhat by checking to see if it happens in neutral. Speed related is almost always driveline, but what you're describing sounds like a lash issue.

limequat

Dissident
Apr 1, 2005
Detroit
Trans output shaft? CV Joints? You could do visuals on the axle boots.
Maybe pull out the drive shaft and check for play in the output shaft.

When I've had driveline vibrations in the past it shook the entire car. The fact that you're feeling it in the -um- gear selecter lever leads me to the output shaft.

Chris-Supra

Apr 1, 2005
Well I'm going to check the fluids in both the tranny and diff and see if its possibley low enough to be unhappy and vibrate. If not, well car goes back on jack stands and I'll check the output shaft, thats the slip yoke thingy right?

VanSupra

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Van,B.C.
Dude, if you ever disconnected your drive shaft and didn't mark it you may have it installed out by 180 degrees. Just a thought.

Chris-Supra

Apr 1, 2005
*angry noises* This is frustrating. It was a gradual increase from nothing to very bad so It wasn't because of something I put in wrong, I hadn't had the DS out ever, though guy before me did to swap motors. I was told by the guy who built my car for me (NA > 7mgte and r154 swap) that the driveshaft in teh car currently was the wrong one and he would get me the correct one (though I still havn't gotten it from him) I didn't know that any other DS would fit, or do DS's from say auto supras or non turbo supras work? What other supra driveshafts would fit in my car with the r154? Could I assume that this is the problem? If it is you would think it would have been vibrating from the start.

Some more observations tongiht. When shifting out of 4th going very fast, It wont go into 5th it vibrates so bad and you can feel it shaking strongly in the clutch pedal, also very slightly in the rest of the car.

Help please, I need the car for this weekend...

limequat

Dissident
Apr 1, 2005
Detroit
Oh, we're dealing with a Frankencar...

Everything you stated so far points to something in the trans. Your speedo doesn't happen to be jumpy does it? Strongly recommend pulling out the driveshaft and turning the output shaft over by hand. Yep, the thing that the front part the driveshaft slips over.

limequat

Dissident
Apr 1, 2005
Detroit
Chris-Supra said:
*cries* I don't want to change the tranny in this car yet.... If it was the tranny though, wouldn't it be rpm sensitive not speed?

Speedy doesn't work at all right now, need a lower cable. Stopped working a while ago.

Not necessarily, because the output shaft is subject to the gear ratios. It spins at the same speed as the driveshaft.

L

lanky189

hehe.. most folks don't complain if there stick is good at vibrating..

heh..sorry couldnt help myself... btw..yuo may not need a new tranny... you could have that one rebuilt...or just replace that bearing..

malloynx

Mar 30, 2005
NC
bro, it's your shifter. mine does the same thing. hell i can move mine about 1/2 an inch around when the car is in gear. it's just old and getting sloppy.