my car pc!

bigaaron

Supramania Contributor
Apr 12, 2005
Pomona, CA
www.driftmotion.com
Here's my setup, and the "attachable face" and the touchpad under the change holder are my own ideas so if you are a hater (and you know who you are) then send money if you use it! (just kidding, inside joke :icon_razz ) For everyone else, I would love for you to copy anything I have done, and if you do then I am honored that you liked it enough for your own car.

p44654_1.jpg

p44654_2.jpg

p44654_3.jpg

p44654_4.jpg

p44654_5.jpg

p44654_6.jpg

p44654_7.jpg

p44654_8.jpg

p44654_9.jpg

Last edited:

drunk_medic

7Ms are for Cressidas
Apr 1, 2005
Woodstock, GA
I wanna do something like that to my car, for entertainment, navigation and AEM control/tuning. :arcadefre

Good idea, keeping it all hidden.

bigaaron

Supramania Contributor
Apr 12, 2005
Pomona, CA
www.driftmotion.com
Another, you can see my dvd player, boost controller and eq in the glove box.
Also, not shown are my TV tuner, Soundblaster Audigy USB 5.1 channel sound card, FM radio, and PVR to record video to the hard drive while driving.

p44660_1.jpg

bigaaron

Supramania Contributor
Apr 12, 2005
Pomona, CA
www.driftmotion.com
Wanna see another cool feature? Here's me remotely controlling my car pc in the car in the garage from my home pc in my apartment! I can transfer files or music, change settings, whatever.

I gotta give big props to my buddy Ryan (anorexic poodle) for helping me set up the remote desktop. It was tough to get the automatic logon and passwords to work correctly but he is a freakin computer GENIOUS! And don't even try to play that game "Cranium" with Ryan because he will "smoke you like a cheap cigarette" LOL

p44666_1.jpg

Last edited:

Eric_Odie

Apr 17, 2005
Fremont, Ca.
www.cardomain.com
OMG DOODE THAT'S F'ING AWESOME! hahaha last night i was just talking about something like this when my friend brough up that PC in teh Scion on Pimp My Ride...and i was like that'll be cool if you can set up where you have the factory radio as a faceplate! and freakin i see it happen now! mad props! i love it! looks hella clean! i'm hella jealous of the PC, and your Black interior! haha =P

what i do wonder though tho is how long will the car battery last... or will it not kill as fast as i'm assuming. cause what the avg. battery is supposed to last like 3 years or something around there, forgot what my auto tech teacher said....

deng your whole set up is something i want one day in my car, maybe not my supra but one of my future cars, maybe the GS i dream of getting haha, dvd player, pc, and whatnots...

well once againt to finish up this long reply, very awesome!

bigaaron

Supramania Contributor
Apr 12, 2005
Pomona, CA
www.driftmotion.com
This uses an efficent mini itx motherboard with embedded via 1ghz processor, I can run it with the car off for more then 4 hours without a problem. The power supply automatically turns the pc on and off with the ignition, and I have it hibernate so it is up and running before I get out of my driveway to the street. It has a low battery shutdown and if I manually turn it on without the ignition, it shuts itself down after 2 hrs. It has 512mb ram, 60 gig 3.25" hd, and a wireless g wifi card with 8db antenna. I built and installed the pc and everything myself. I can park in almost any local parking lot or go down any street and get online. All of downtown Fullerton has free wifi now, along with Schlotskys Deli's, Ben and Jerry's, tea houses, etc...

Last edited:

streetknight

rip ssb
Mar 30, 2005
melbourne, fl
haha sweet nice to see some one else have one. do like the small key board. what monitor is that? which epia is that m1000? to be honest u should have gone with a small atx u will find the epia lag behind after a while, specially when playing games. is it conected to the internet thru ur phone? or just when ur at home?

bigaaron

Supramania Contributor
Apr 12, 2005
Pomona, CA
www.driftmotion.com
Yup, it's the m10000. I have a touchscreen AND the touchpad. I can use either. The touchpad is just easy to reach when I am chilling out browsing the web and stuff. The keyboard is actuall called a "minikey" and is design for ps2 but it's usb and pc compatible too. You are right about the speed but it is plenty fast to browse the web, watch videos and movies, and do all the other stuff I want to do in my car. For games, a full atx would be real cool, I might do that later on. I am gonna put one of those mini ps2 units in soon too, those were not even available when I did this install. The monitor has video and svga in so I can use that for the ps2. The main volume control is in the old tems switch. I made abs squares and epoxied them in where the buttons were, then I put in a 50k ohm stereo pot and wired it between the amp and sound card so i have a master volume control that is easy to reach and independant of the pc. The other switch is to put my fm antenna up or down.

Last edited:

streetknight

rip ssb
Mar 30, 2005
melbourne, fl
yeah i got my 7" touchscreen for 150 plus a opus for 120
yeah i had/have a m900 and i ditched it for a matx with a xp3200+ and a low rise 5200 plays games at fairly decent settings (ut2k3,ut2k4,farcry.ect.ect)
i end up getting a querty remote works very well with the touchscreen.

did u go from carpc to amp or dps or radio?

bigaaron

Supramania Contributor
Apr 12, 2005
Pomona, CA
www.driftmotion.com
It's a ebay Lilliput 7" vga touchscreen monitor, $280 shipped and it comes direct from China. I really like it! I modified it to turn on automatically and it's powered from the pc's power supply so it turns on and off with the pc. It has buttons but they are hidden behind the dash, I can use a remote to adjust it if I need to. I think the Lilliput is a GREAT deal, 0 problems with it. I guess it has been in the car close to a year now and the touch panel still looks new. BTW, the monitor and touchpad install require several hours of carefull work with a dremel tool, and a steady hand.

Last edited:

Justin

Speakers?
Mar 31, 2005
Spokane, Wa
that's very cool. Where did you mount the PC? (may have mentioned it, but I've a horriable headache so I didn't read much :)

btw: the 'attatchable face' is hardly you're idea. I've had an attatchable face for almost two years :)

also, how did you hook the computer upto your speakers? I know how I'd do it, but what did you do?

Last edited:

Idealsupra

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Orlando
www.tampabaysupras.com
Justin said:
btw: the 'attatchable face' is hardly you're idea. I've had an attatchable face for almost two years :)

ha! so then it was MY idea ;) ive had it for almost 4 years :D covers my 3 gauges and my radio :D suckers!

nice install aaron...one day ill have a car pc... too many other things going on right now though to worry about it lol..