Turbo problems

billspreston01

Jun 2, 2005
North Carolina
My cars been running for a week now (89 turbo 5spd converted from auto w/ 104k on the engine) and today I went about 1 hour on the highway. On the way back it didn't seem like something was right, I could hear the turbo spooling really loud but the car didn't seem to be going anywhere, and the boost gauge WAS reading boost (about 5psi, before it was about 6). I got home and opened the hood and the turbo is making funny sounds, I can hear a small amount of exaust coming out of the turbine housing (I think). I was just wondering what you think it is? Cracked turbo housing or turbo elbow? and how common is that? also, how much is a turbo rebuild kit with all new seals and such and where can I get it because I have a second turbo, but the oil seal is blown.

thanx for the help

clifftrail

Jun 19, 2005
Abq
Your never going to know unless you take of the heat shields and look. It could be something as simple as loose bolts at the exhaust manifold, turbo or the DP. I've found this to be very common, start with the simple things first. Exhaust leaks are very simple to spot because you'll see white residue around the area where it's leaking.

Last edited: