steam coming out of oil filler hole

suprana1990

Apr 4, 2005
NYC
does anyone know why i see steam coming out of the oil filler hole?
i had this problem before i took my motor out and right now it is in the process of a rebuild.

my compression is good, steady thru all 6 cylinder at around 180psi.
i searched but can't find any info. and the only thing i heard about is excessive blowby.

what could cause excessive blowby?

CPT Furious

Now MAJ FURY!
Mar 30, 2005
KDOV
Is it a little or a lot? If it is only a little, I would think it could be oil vapor as well from a hot engine. I've seen it on mine if I open it immediately after I've been running and my motor doesn't have any issues whatsoever. You just might be misleading people by calling it "steam".

suprana1990

Apr 4, 2005
NYC
probably, i am not sure what is the correct term to use.
all i know is after a 10mile drive or so and i open the oil cap i see like a load of vapor, steam or whatever you call it.

in SF i was it was excessive blowby, but i don't think my piston rings were bad cause i let the car idle for 10min. and then cool down for prob. 30min before i proceed to a compression test.

Lagged i don't think it is BHG, thank god cause i would be spending even more to fix my engine.

But thanks for all the input cause i always thought something was wrong when i open the oil cap and see like a steam or vapor coming out.

sathu

Apr 20, 2005
SJ, CA
I don't think it is steam, to call it steam is actually not correct, it's more like just vapor/light smoke. I have an oil catch can with a breather air filter on it and after a drive on the freeway, you can see vapor coming out of the filter if you open the hood up right after stopping. Although I seem to have a lot of oil depotsit on the tube from the valve cover into the oil catch can and I am loosing oil mostly dude to bad turbo oil seal. Getting it fix this weekend and hope that willl solve my oil problem.

siman

Lifetime Ban
Mar 31, 2005
Murfreesboro, TN
www.cardomain.com
Well your motor does get hot......and I mean HOT.

Right after I drive to work or home and need to top off the oil a bit ( rear main seal still leaks) I open up the oil filler cap ( with a cloth its so hot) and oil vapor always comes billowing out. Nothing out of the ordinary, If I waft the smell over to me its just pure oil smell...
I got the wafting idea from my old chemistry class ROFL.

-Jonathan

S

superbovine

New cars do that too, its just vapors as said previously. Its normal.