TEMS to non-TEMS?

JD7Monster

Jul 6, 2005
Orlando, FL
I have an 88 with the TEMS system, currently my supra hops more than anything going over speedbumps, and bottoms out constantly on small dips.

I'd like to get a strut compatible with the TEMS (tokiko) but they're a bit too expensive for me at the moment.

Is there any benefit to converting to non-tems struts? and is it pretty straitforward?
Could i basically just mount them up like a regular strut an be done?
or would I have to take the whole system out? (actuators and etc..)

Stanzaspeed

2.5 Twin Turbo R
Staff member
Mar 30, 2005
Calgary, AB
i tossed my tems when i put in my coilovers. i never was a big fan of the system. its pretty straightforward. when you have your new struts/springs/coilovers or whatever all you need to do is pull the dust covers off unplug the wires going to the actuator and take the actuator off. then you unbolt the old and toss in the new. as for benifits of putting in a non tems unit you can get something with higher dampening than the tems shocks with something like a koni shock setup. i had them in my car for a while (along with one tems shock up front set to full hard wih no actuator on it) and it was quite nice compared to stock units. as a side benifit to the konis you have some dampening adjustability while they are off the car to help you set it to your preference. hope that helped a little.

Supra Blues

Virgin Booster
Mar 30, 2005
Supramania
Yeah, alot of people ditch the TEMS, but those who have stayed with them, said they still love them.

Its totally up to you. I didn't go back because two of the actuators were missing and the cheapest I could find were on EBAY for 360 for all four.

bluemax

The Family Man
Mar 30, 2005
Orange County, CA
I'm going to get rid of my TEMS when I get coilovers.
I think you get a low more choice in suspension set-ups without the TEMS.
I don't see any benefit with TEMS. Just the lights on the dash look cool.

JD7Monster

Jul 6, 2005
Orlando, FL
Yeah, I'm probly gonna ditch it.. I'm the only one who can really notice a difference between 3 bars firm, an full soft.. Plus the only struts compat. with it are like, 130ish a peice.. If i'm gonna spend that much on suspension i'll go coilover.

For now i'm just gonna go with a good non-TEMS strut/spring setup..
Any suggestions? I dont want much of a drop.. because my rims are 16" an my tires are HUGE...lol

Jeff Lange

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 29, 2005
Calgary, Canada
jefflange.ca
I ditched TEMS, and got the pocket to replace the switches, now I decided I want heated seats, so I picked up the seat heater switch from Toyota that fits in the same spot. It should be in at Toyota today, but I didn't get in there today, no time.

I'll see if it's there tomorrow and of course post pics. :)

Tein Flex trumps TEMS any day ;).

boost fiend

Banned
Jul 24, 2005
Rockford, Il
i dumped the tems on the front but still have them on the rears. got monroe sensa tracks on the front and the rears are still the same old ones. havent had any issues yet. makes for one really fun ride in the rain though!!! :icon_evil