Grippy Tires

Orion ZyGarian

Jeff Lange wannabe
Apr 2, 2005
Sarasota, FLorida
www.suprastore.com
Okay, everyone post up what tires are on your car right now, how grippy they are, how the treadwear is, and how much you like them/whether or not you'd buy them again.

Also, any tires in the past that you may have used and liked.

Right now, I'm thinking some Kuhmo Supra's (coincidentally) or so. I need some tires pretty bad, and I've heard Kuhmo is the best bang for buck. I originally wanted to get G-Force T/A KD's and/or Drag Radial 1's, however right now I dont have that money to spend and I need a tire ASAP, so I'm thinking probably Kuhmos until I can afford G-Force's.

Mar 30, 2005
Florida
Kuhmo Supra tires are simply the best tires for their price i switched to them from running pos all season michelins and i really had to try to kick the rear out with the new tires...they have really good grip on the street and in the rain they are very good as well.

MA70Supra88

Boostless
Mar 31, 2005
Boerne, TX
I use the Kmho Ecsta Supras. Not the best grip-wise, but cheap and suit my needs for driving around town. Wear seems to be pretty good so far. I've put about 5k on them

becauseican

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Vancouver
www.bicperformance.com
I have the Kuhmo MX tires, they are great, much stickier than the 712's and only a little bit more money. I would definatly recomend them. The 712's are OK when new, once they get to 50% or less the get hard and dont stick very well. They were on my car previously.

Furball

Yes, I play Halo
Apr 2, 2005
Merced, CA
Yokohama AVS ES100s are my cost effective tire of choice. I get a deal at the local tire shop and pick them up for $96 a piece. IIRC they won't hurt your wallet too bad even without someone to hook you up. Nice sticky tire. Handle corners wonderfully. My favorite in the rain so far.

CassMori

Boost Addict
I've got Falken's on mine, IIRC 502's (teadwear 300) on front, 512's (treadwear 340) on rear. Can't really say much about the tread wear, as the rears were bought used, and have only put ~1k on them. Have put ~6k on the fronts, the inner edge is worn from bad ball joints & bad driver's shock, that I only found out about a couple of weeks ago, otherwise are wearing well. As far as grip, I've go no complaints, the car sticks like glue in wet or dry.

edit: I had Pirelli P6000's on the rear, with about the same amount of tread as the current rears, they lasted about 5k (treadwear 180 !)

drjonez

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
the motor city
www.4cefed.com
the stickiest tire is the BFG T/A KD, no question. the kumho MX is pretty close, but not quite. remember that the stickier the tire, the shorter the life. i blew thru a pair of MXs in ONE summer....and that was on the front!

personally, i'm on nitto 555s on the front and nitto DRs on the back....for the "daily" driving setup @ least. the DRs wear well and are a god bit stickier than any other tire....don't do too bad in the rain either....too bad they suck @ the strip....

DrakeMK3

"The Duck"
Mar 30, 2005
Knoxville, TN
Yokohama ES100's on back Treadwear 280.

Yokohama AVS Sports on front Treadwear 180.

I've only had them for a few months but I definitely have improved traction in the rain and they seem to be great all-around tires. Not too expensive either.

jbsupra89t

Achieving Balance...
Mar 30, 2005
NJ
I'm on the Nitto Extreme ZRs right now, 245 up in the front and 285 in the rear. I like them, had them on my old car too. I've heard AWESOME things about the new Mickey Thompson ET Street tho.

-J

Disced

Pie + NYQuil = FTW
Apr 5, 2005
Edmonds, Wa
Friend works @ Honda dealership and steals me old tires of s2000...

Potenza S-02's with usually 75% or more tread left. I would have to say they grip about 10 x better than my old eagle f-1's.

But... I don't think many people would be purchasing this tire as the cost is almost $200 per..

Orion ZyGarian

Jeff Lange wannabe
Apr 2, 2005
Sarasota, FLorida
www.suprastore.com
Well I only had $300 to spend on tires, so I just ordered a set of Kuhmo Supras (coincidentally of course) because I think I'd like them for the price until I can get G-Force T/A KDs like I said...I love that tire for some reason!

jbsupra89t

Achieving Balance...
Mar 30, 2005
NJ
drjonez said:
awesome for drag, not so awesome for driving on the street.

Ah good to hear, I'll more than likely shy away from them then, as I do more street driving, with the occasional (read: once in a blue moon) trip to the strip...

-J