how can I tell???

doom26464

Research...research
Mar 31, 2005
Saskatoon SK, Canada
www.cardomain.com
just a quick question. When I bought my car I was told it had jdm engine swapped in. So how can I tell that my engine is a JDM 7m-GTE just to make sure this guy wasn't bluffing? Or are JDM EXCATLY the same as the ca/us ones??

Justin

Speakers?
Mar 31, 2005
Spokane, Wa
isnms said:
One way is to see if it's got EGR. I've heard that JDM doesn't have that.

Its true, they dont'. I can't imagine someone putting an EGR ON, but its possiable. Another difference is that the JDM TB has one vacuum nipple on top, and the USDM ones have 2 or 3

JD7Monster

Jul 6, 2005
Orlando, FL
Mine has chinese writing all over the lil spark plug and timing belt cover..
I dont think the USDM motors have chinese writing on them..

Justin

Speakers?
Mar 31, 2005
Spokane, Wa
siman said:
and the JDM motors smell like japan

My JDM engine came with an authentic JDM spider. He was cool until he got lost somewhere in the engine..........

I'll post pics when I get home in a few hours.

isnms

United States of America
Mar 30, 2005
Oklahoma
i80.photobucket.com
EGR system
EC_16.gif

drunk_medic

7Ms are for Cressidas
Apr 1, 2005
Woodstock, GA
JD7Monster said:
Mine has chinese writing all over the lil spark plug and timing belt cover..
I dont think the USDM motors have chinese writing on them..

Odd, but these days I'd expect a USDM car as more likely than a JDM one to have asian writing. Sad, but true.

Justin

Speakers?
Mar 31, 2005
Spokane, Wa
doom26464 said:
hmmmm doesn't seem like mine has one. Why would the jdm engine not have one?? any pros or cons to that???

a JDM engine doesn't have an EGR system because the laws are not as strict emission wise over there.

I am sure as hell not putting an EGR system on my JDM engine, I like it clean like :)

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
EGR is the main difference. Early JDM 7Ms don't have oil squirters in the block, either, however pulling the engine, yanking off the oilpan and inspecting this would be overkill just to find out if the engine really was JDM. ;)

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
the TB, wrap around coolant hardline, EGR, throttle linkage, vaccuum line for the brake booster (the steel part on the back of the intake manifold) are different.

thats all i can think of without looking at my motor.

Idealsupra

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Orlando
www.tampabaysupras.com
shaeff said:
the TB, wrap around coolant hardline, EGR, throttle linkage, vaccuum line for the brake booster (the steel part on the back of the intake manifold) are different.

thats all i can think of without looking at my motor.

frankly...if the swap was done PROPERLY there should be NO way to tell if its jdm or not....

SupraNBama

Apr 1, 2005
Anniston,Alabama
Ideal is right unless u leave the egr off like i did....when i did my swap to the jdm i had to change the tb,thermostat housing ::due to sensors my car is a 88 and the motor was 89+::,hardpiping for coolant had to be swapped to, other than that my motor looks the same

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
i kept my JDM TB in favor of no sloppy USDM linkage. my throttle cable attaches directly to my TB, without any of that crap. (i also eliminated cruise control because i hated it anyway)

the JDM TB has one vaccuum nipple on it compared to the USDM's two, as someone already stated. thats the only thing besides the coolant pipe that i kept. i like the way i have my heater hoses routed as they are. other than that, you cant tell its JDM.

SupraNBama said:
Ideal is right unless u leave the egr off like i did....when i did my swap to the jdm i had to change the tb,thermostat housing ::due to sensors my car is a 88 and the motor was 89+::,hardpiping for coolant had to be swapped to, other than that my motor looks the same

i left the EGR how it was, less mess. i didnt change thermostat housings, and my car's an 86.5. i just spliced on a different connector i believe. no need to change housings. everything on my car is 100% functional. and for the reason stated above, i left the coolant hardpipe how it was.

-shaeff