piston/valve clearence?

pepsi93

Apr 4, 2005
Canada
I just got my Head shaved down 10 thousand's, now my mech is woundering about piston/valve clearence? because the valve comes outta the block or something like that, and he does not want any problems. Any Info about any clearence issues ect would help.

chevyeater

wastegate hose is pulled
Mar 30, 2005
Long Island, NY
You should be replacing the head gasket with a correspondingly thicker one in order to maintain the compression ratio. Valve clearance isn't going to be an issue with the stock cams/valves.

chevyeater

wastegate hose is pulled
Mar 30, 2005
Long Island, NY
IIRC, the stock gasket is around 1.2mm compressed thickness. .010" is equivelant to .25mm so, one of the multi layer steel 1.4mm gaskets from Cometic or Titan or the 1.5 from Greddy would be about right then, assuming there wasn't any material removed from the block (though I'd have it resurfaced smooth if it were my engine).

If you want to stay with the stock head gasket, your compression ratio will be increased. I don't have the CC volume measurements in front of me to figure out how much. You wouldn't need to worry about resurfacing the block unless it was truly screwed up with the stock head gasket at least. I haven't seen any thicker stock type head gaskets available.

Some people on the forums have had success using spray a gasket or brake quiet on the sealing surfaces to make up for lack of surface prep. with a metal head gasket, YMMV.

Most folks choose to upgrade to ARP head bolts or studs and nuts while they are doing a head gasket swap regardless of the gasket they choose. Whatever fasteners or gaskets are used, definitely more than the factory recomended torque spec is required to hold the head on. 72 ft/lbs seems to be the consensus if reusing the stock bolts, ARP specs if using thier fasteners.

That is the head gasket deal in a nutshell.

RacerXJ220

Interdimensional
Mar 30, 2005
Abalama
Now honestly, is increasing the compression ratio slightly going to severely effect the way the engine operates? Will it have a noticable effect at all?

Just a question I wanted to throw in there :)

chevyeater

wastegate hose is pulled
Mar 30, 2005
Long Island, NY
Eh, cc the chambers in the head before and after bieng shaved, then LMK how much "a little" is. I'll have a better answer for that then.