oil pressure help

W

womenslider

Hi again guys wondering if anyone can shed some light on this for me
just rebuilt my engine and was wondering what the oil pressure should be???
as mine seems on the low side considering i have installed a new oil pump.

on idle its sitting on the first mark and seems to make its way up to about 30ish when the revs are increased to around 3000 but havent been able to get exact figures yet as i only finished installing it last night and im not using an oil pressure tester im relying on the supras guage(not sure how accurate they are).

The oil pump was a toga unit apparently high volume and i used their hp bearings in the rods and mains.engine dosent seem to be knocking but i didnt want to run it for to long incase there was an oil feed problem.please note i have quite a lot of experience in rebuilding engines so i measured everything and kept everything as clean as possible
Any ideas???? :1zhelp:

May 31, 2005
Omaha
well, I always had lower pressures with my 7M....like 40-45 on a cold start at the max pressure and about 15-20 on idle and about 25 driving...now with the 1JZ, I have about 80psi on start up cold, and about 60 on driving warm. it will go to about 100 when I am driving on a cold motor and about 75-85 boosting.

Trev

isnms

United States of America
Mar 30, 2005
Oklahoma
i80.photobucket.com
gauge_oil.gif

http://www.brandwood.net/supra/handbook/1/5/gauges.html#Oil

@ normal operating temp:
4.3psi or more @ idle
36 - 71 psi @ 3000rpm
http://www.cygnusx1.net/supra/library/TSRM/lu/LU_04.html

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
you should have shimmed the oil pump while it was apart! :)

-shaeff

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
theres no such thing as a high volume oil pump for the 7m ;) everyone claims to have them, but there's no such thing. you got ripped :(

on that note, shimming the oil pump would help to solve your problem.

-shaeff

W

womenslider

ok . so how can they sell them as a high vol unit then that seems to be a bit dishonest. oh well! so how do you go about shimming the oil pump and does this give a big increase in pressure???
cheers
wade

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
yes it gives a decent increase in pressure. i'll see if i can dig up a picture.

-shaeff

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
this is how you shim your oil pump. information thanks to Ideal Supra. it was suggested to use about 14mm of washers to help bump up the oil pressure, since the 7m is known for low oil pressure. check the following diagram:

401341494DOXomc_fs.jpg

-shaeff

Dirgle

Conjurer of Boost
Mar 30, 2005
Pauma Valley, CA
The reason that they can say it's a hi volume oil pump is because that's what it is. Our systems utilize a hi volume low pressure oil system stock. So all 7M oil pumps will be high volume. Your oil pressure sounds fine for a stock 7M lubrication system. 4.3 at idle and around 30-40 during normal driving, is what mine ran.

W

womenslider

ok i see, but what about shimming the oil pump how do you do it and does it work.also i see that some of the guys have changed the oil filter bracket on the turbo for a n/a one what is the difference and does that help ??? as i would like as much oil pressure as possible\
laters
wade

W

womenslider

just to let you know guys nothing to worry about i used a proper oil pressure tester and im seeing 50psi@3000 hot so the guage or sender unit is crap as the stock guage was showing about 28psi
what oil do you recommend???