who has changed the color of your interior?

Paradox

20G Boostin'
Apr 5, 2005
Canada, eh
www.pxi.ath.cx
i painted sections of mine about 1.5 years ago, used VH vinyl paint i think it was called. also tried some other paints but that stuff worked the best. so far its held up pretty damn well. i also painted the pillars around the back seats and the trunk area. maybe i'll get the dash done this summer :)

DSCF0006.jpg

xffe

I Didn't Do It!
Apr 4, 2005
New London
Hey, when it's back up, check out SF, there is a mass of interior color change threads, what they used, and how it was done, I'm undertaking this ordeal starting this weekend since my clutch died.

Paradox

20G Boostin'
Apr 5, 2005
Canada, eh
www.pxi.ath.cx
driftedmk3 said:
wow.. thats so nice.. how much was it to do the painting?

thanks, it really isnt that expensive to do the entire interior, the paint is expensive tho, i think i was paying something like $10/can of this stuff. you have to do multiple coats fairly often, i think 1 every 10 minutes or so. it also cant be painted when the air is humid...

i must have used maybe 7 cans total by now, so $70'ish, i got a deal at the time since i was buying a bunch of cans at once :)

and just for note it was a paint called SEM Color Coat - Flexible Coating thats the closest can i find in the shop atleast. i believe i got this at lorco, however it could have been a napaa store. either should have something of the same quality and price. test it out on a area that doesnt get exposed much, like under your dash. and see what finish/brand/etc you like the most.

for preparation i just cleaned mine down with alcohol then scrubbed it up a bit with high grit sandpaper, wiped down again and painted away, removing the rear panels were the biggest pain. the door panels and everything else is fairly easy.

anyways, HTH & g'luck

:)

rakkasan

Currahee!!
Mar 31, 2005
Fort Campbell, KY
xffe said:
Hey, when it's back up, check out SF, there is a mass of interior color change threads, what they used, and how it was done, I'm undertaking this ordeal starting this weekend since my clutch died.

Hahaha, you're a riot! :D I would check it out, but they've stopped opening new accounts back in December (I think). I bought my car back in November. Besides, SF sucks. Way too much adolescent testosterone for my blood. :rolleyes:

alloyguitar

it's legal, i swear...
Mar 30, 2005
knoxville, tennessee
i changed my interior to black...i used duplicolor vinyl/fabric paint for, guess what, the vinyl and the fabric, and i used krylon fusion for the plastic, and the only prep work i did was i disassembled every part and cleaned with mild soap, painted, and reassembled them, they look like new....

Idealsupra

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Orlando
www.tampabaysupras.com
i have been playing around with interior stuff for about a month now...

basically ive found this out:

the krylon fusion for plastics is AWESOME...no prep other then a quick wipe down and then paint away...i would use a good solid 5 coats on each piece. obviously light coats as heavy ones will blotch and become a bit tacky...

heres some pieces with the fusion:

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

as for the vinyl parts...i originally tried the fusion stuff...it doesnt work at all... it becomes very tacky and scratches off easily. this is to be expected as its not plastic ;)
i then tried duplicolor vinyl/FABRIC spray...that worked nicely and wasnt tacky at all ..however it might need around 6 coats to keep it on there constantly...i was able to pick some of it off but that was with me scratching insanely at it...and ive had it on my doorh andle which obviously gets a lot of traffic and it has yet to wear off from natural touching...i think im gonna pick up a can of the duplicolor vinyl/LEATHER stuff and see how that works...

heres a pic of the door panel i did with the fusion stuff(dont use;) ) ...i also took all 8 of the inserts and recovered them with a grey vinyl/leather fabric i got at a local fabric store....and repadded them as well...

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

this weekend i have a grey interior parts car that im gonna use for a bunch of misc grey parts to accent the black ...and ill also be able to finish it all up...i think if i get ambitious ill be pulling the dash to do that as well...but i have a project for the dash that i might wait until i get the part im missing for to do that...anyways ill post pics up after the weekend ;)

supra90turbo

shaeff is FTMFW!
Mar 30, 2005
MA, 01440
ideal: i likey. that is very nice. something i've been thinking about for a long time, but i'm not sure the plans for this current body... perhaps a mint white n/a targa body is out there with my name on it.....

i also like what paradox has done. that piques my interest as well...

Idealsupra

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Orlando
www.tampabaysupras.com
supra90turbo said:
ideal: i likey. that is very nice. something i've been thinking about for a long time, but i'm not sure the plans for this current body... perhaps a mint white n/a targa body is out there with my name on it.....

i also like what paradox has done. that piques my interest as well...

thanks...

yeah i forgot to mention my stuff was originally all burgandy as well..i just HATE burgandy...otherwise what paradox did is pretty nice as well...