Wrap-Around-Coolant-Pipe

Justin

Speakers?
Mar 31, 2005
Spokane, Wa
I had an NA engine and a Turbo engine sitting side-by-side. My Dad and I were discussing the stupid nipple cap on the coolant pipe that wraps around the back of the engine behind the firewall. I noticed on the NA it didn't have that cap. I was like, Whoa, Cool.

Anyway, I just wanted to post up that the NA Wrap-Around-Coolant-Pipe didn't have that additional nipple that needed to be capped off in case anyone wanted to know.

Thanks all, thanks for listening

Justin

Stretch

Tallest MK3 driver ever!!
Mar 30, 2005
Toronto, Ontario
Sweet find justin. Are you talking about that skinny little pipe that comes off the main pipe? I was wondering how to cap it, maybe just cut off and close hole. So the N/A simply doesn't have it tho? hmm, very interesting anyways.
eric

Justin

Speakers?
Mar 31, 2005
Spokane, Wa
as you can see, the non turbo picture does not have the nipple coming out on the side, which is capped anyway (just another peice of rubber to break and leak coolant everywhere)

on the picture of the TURBO pipe (thanks Justin727) it has that nipple, everything else is exactly the same.

Last edited:

lagged

1991 1JZ
Mar 30, 2005
new rochelle
the around the block water hardline on my 86.5 original NA motor is the exact same thing as my 89 JDM turbo motor.

of all the turbo and non turbo motors i have seen, this piece is the same on all of them.

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
interesting... my 89+ motor has it. i'm bypassing the TB and ISC coolant hose with some good (high pressure, just to be sure) hose. i dont want to cap it off or weld it incase the need to sell the car (as if that would ever happen) so i'm just going to get a long length of hose and bypass both of them and run it back into the coolant circuit.

also, that allows me to hook both back up incase i need to drive the car in the winter if my winter beater breaks down. this eliminates three possible leaky spots. it goes from a total of five down to two. i can deal with checking two spots, but not the others.

-shaeff

PHILLYSUPRA

serious
Jun 29, 2005
philly
actually on my 86.5 na i really do have that nipple cuz i had to replace when i did my head gasket. it cost me @ 4.77 from toyota.the differences between the two blocks is that the NA block DOES NOT have the turbo drain hole in the side of the block.

lagged

1991 1JZ
Mar 30, 2005
new rochelle
on the JDM water hardline i am using the side for the heater core that would be used on USDM cars was capped off. i decided to simply drill it out, and use the plug on the other side that my 86.5 waterline had.

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
lagged said:
on the JDM water hardline i am using the side for the heater core that would be used on USDM cars was capped off. i decided to simply drill it out, and use the plug on the other side that my 86.5 waterline had.

i hate dealing with the water hose behind the block, so i just reversed the direction the coolant flows through my heater core. it goes from the banjo bolt at the back of the head into the driver's side, and then out and back into the spot thats normally capped off on USDM models.

it works like a charm, and i use standard 5/8" universal heater hose to do it. no expensive toyota hoses there :)

-shaeff