Anyone done a 1jz swap and kept the auto tranny?

Charlie97L

Jul 16, 2005
Clarksburg, MD
just curious if anyone had done this. it seems like it would make the wiring easier, and maybe cheaper for the whole swap if you went auto-auto, given the prevalences of auto tranny 1jz's out there.

thanks!

drunk_medic

7Ms are for Cressidas
Apr 1, 2005
Woodstock, GA
The problem with auto 1JZs is the gearbox strength. It will work for stock and "BPU" applications, but it's not recommended beyond that, while the 5-speed is known to be pretty strong.
If you want an auto 1JZ AND you want power, I's recommend integrating a built A340E from a 2JZ-GTE.

Besides, the A342 on the 1JZ would be tough to get parts/repairs for.

Charlie97L

Jul 16, 2005
Clarksburg, MD
thanks. if i did ever do the swap, i doubt i'd go much beyond stock and basic mods, and not drive it that much... it would definitely be relegated to a weekend car. i appreciate the feedback.

tsuper92

supra addict
Apr 7, 2005
mass
my 92 is auto,you can also use the 7m auto with it.i'm shooting for 350-400whp,i'm sure that won't be an issue.i like the auto,its still fun.i drop the thing in low on the highway doing 55,the ass squats and pulls pretty hard.i have an add on trans cooler after the radiator for a little extra insurance.oh,i love this motor :icon_bigg

bigaaron

Supramania Contributor
Apr 12, 2005
Pomona, CA
www.driftmotion.com
I have a 1990 targa with 1j swap and a342, it's freakin great. It shifts awesome, launches good and it will hold the gear you're in all the way to redline. I did it so my wife could drive it but it's so fun to drive I have been driving it most of the time. I don't know how much power it can handle but if you only go with a little more then stock boost you should be fine. This pic is from right after it was done, I have since loomed the harness and cleaned it up a little. The wiring was tricky but I got it perfect, with the manual/pwr shift buttons, air conditioning and a properly working hydro fan. I think it's kinda jdm pimp... :naughty: I can cruise around while sipping a orange bang and then start drifting without even putting my drink down :icon_bigg

p42242_1.jpg

Last edited:

OneJoeZee

Retired Post Whore
Mar 30, 2005
aboard the Argama
bigaaron said:
I have a 1990 targa with 1j swap and a342, it's freakin great. It shifts awesome, launches good and it will hold the gear you're in all the way to redline. I did it so my wife could drive it but it's so fun to drive I have been driving it most of the time. I don't know how much power it can handle but if you only go with a little more then stock boost you should be fine. This pic is from right after it was done, I have since loomed the harness and cleaned it up a little. The wiring was tricky but I got it perfect, with the manual/pwr shift buttons, air conditioning and a properly working hydro fan. I think it's kinda jdm pimp... :naughty: I can cruise around while sipping a orange bang and then start drifting without even putting my drink down :icon_bigg

how often do you drive that 7M car now? oh? whats that you say? it stays in the garage alot more now? damn, that 1J must be really cool!! :aigo:

Charlie97L

Jul 16, 2005
Clarksburg, MD
you know the title banner "Drift Motion" is repeating like 10 times on your site. you have to scroll down to get to any items. not sure if that's how it is supposed to be.

thanks so much for the input though, sounds great. i'll definitely be considering this for the future.

Charlie97L

Jul 16, 2005
Clarksburg, MD
bigaaron said:

what buttons are you referring to? sorry if that's a n00b question. i'm very familiar with mr2s and celicas, having had a bunch of those, but this is my first supra experience.

OneJoeZee

Retired Post Whore
Mar 30, 2005
aboard the Argama
theres a little button that lets the transmission shift higher or faster or something.

aaron drives it, im sure he can tell you more about it

bigaaron

Supramania Contributor
Apr 12, 2005
Pomona, CA
www.driftmotion.com
We have been having a problem with the Mozilla browser not liking our site's main page. Are you using Mozilla?

The A342 Supra has a two button switch where the ect pwr switch would normally be and it has a power or manual function for the transmission.

I

Interpretblurple

bigaaron said:
We have been having a problem with the Mozilla browser not liking our site's main page. Are you using Mozilla?

The A342 Supra has a two button switch where the ect pwr switch would normally be and it has a power or manual function for the transmission.

I am a noob with these cars...not cars in general...but yea is this something like the autostick function...which basically is a simulation manual transmission where the computer tells the car when to shift, however when you use the button you are able to tell the computer when to tell the trans to shift?