grinding noise

gixxer750

2jzget comingsoon!
Mar 30, 2005
Mississippi
On a hard launch I have a grinding noise, sounds like splines slipping in the transmission tunnel, comming from behind the center console. It doesn't slip or anything like that. I've got really sticky tires on......265 40 ZR17's in the rear. Anyone ever heard of the driveshaft spines that slide into the output shaft slipping? only does it on a hard launch and only every once in a while......First time I heard it, it scared me so bad that I lost to a damn civic(even if it was h22 powered with a 75 shot...)

Boostedstr8six

I have better SA than you
Mar 30, 2005
Near Columbia, the river
U-joint maybe? I don't know what would happen, exactly, if you started stripping out those splines but it would be easy to check if it's not your ujoint. It would only cost you a few quarts of gear oil. What kind of grinding sound is it making? Is it a clunky sounding grind or more of a buzzing/whining noise?

americanjebus

Mr. Evergreen
Mar 30, 2005
wa.
i wondering about this too, i have a similar sound but its only at idle like below 1k rpms when im not even touching it, ( i am auto) its sounds like a rattling sound from inside of my bellhousing. has anyone ever messed up their stock flywheel on less than 300hp?

miggles

i wasnt speeding officer
Jun 3, 2005
perth West Australia
americanjebus; ive torn the center out of the flexplate on my auto.It started off making funny whirling clunky noises then the car wont move when its broken.engine revs but no movement.once the engine was shut off it cant start.I think it was to do with the 40km rolling then WOT and lettin the trans kickdown to 1st at 1.3bar.over time the flexplate just gave way.I have seen some B and M flexplates for the v8's but not for the jap cars.

miggles

i wasnt speeding officer
Jun 3, 2005
perth West Australia
and 1 more thing i forgot, when doin the engine swap for the 2nd time we forgot to tighten up the flexplate bolts and at idle got a horrible rattle.
I guess the moral of the story is not to stop to smoke pot every 30mins when doing a engine swap.