R154 dog engagement gearset from Australia

mk3ukr

Apr 12, 2005
Odessa, Ukraine
mk3ukr-supra.net
Recently while researching gearbox upgrades to my surprise I found 2 companies in Australia who make straight cut gears in synchro and dog engagement versions.
http://www.allaboutgearboxes.com/
and http://www.ppgearbox.com.au/
I sent e-mails to both of them. first company did not reply, below is e-mail from PPG

We have only Dog engagement sets with billet forks designed. We did make a few last year and are only entertaining the idea of doing more early next year if production is working properly with our mainstream products. I suggest you get another 4 or 5 people interested who would buy sets and then we could maybe push for doing sets around christmas time.
They will be about $8000aud .
The ratio's are very close with a tall 1st gear and 1:1 fifth. The dog rings are replaceable and available as a spare part. You most likely wont need to replace anything if its a drag car with limited use througout the year.

Regards, Tim.

So, good news these parts exist, bad news - it costs $6050US plus shipping.
Vladimir, 89T

SupraMario

I think it was the google
Mar 30, 2005
The Farm
thats cool, lol, ill stick with my W58 and soon the getrag 6. lol 6 grand is a little much for prolly like %70 of all these members. are u trying to get a group to buy these?

rakkasan

Currahee!!
Mar 31, 2005
Fort Campbell, KY
ma71supraturbo said:
Thats frickin awesome. I wish I had $6K to drop on it right now, but honestly for that much it might be less expensive to adapt a more popular race transmission to the 7m...

IJ's TKO option fits the bill nicely.....

Last edited:

CTsupra

Supramania Contributor
a tall first gear would be awesome and dynoing in 5th could be fun, but for 6k, it's not worth it. if you want a race transmission buy an auto.

edit: wow, $6,000.00usd, ...FOR GEARS! Yeah, that just hit me a little harder from first glance. horrible.

Last edited:

mk3ukr

Apr 12, 2005
Odessa, Ukraine
mk3ukr-supra.net
D34DC311 said:
thats cool, lol, ill stick with my W58 and soon the getrag 6. lol 6 grand is a little much for prolly like %70 of all these members. are u trying to get a group to buy these?

No, forget about group buy. Too expensive for average car enthusiast. PPG even not very much willing to do the set, they are quite happy with there mainstream products - Evo's, STI and GTR's gearboxes
Dog boxes don't last long on the street, it would be perfect for weekend drag racing, switches as fast as auto.
Vladimir, 89T