I;ve got a few questions.

G

Got_Supra?

ohkay then, my Supra isn't exaclty in the best shape of her life and i've been waning to fix the problems but because my mechanic moved over to oklahoma, i've been pretty much stuck without knowing what the heck is wrong with the car, i'd fix it myself if i knew what it was so i'm going to ask you all hoping y'all know wtf is going on with my car. I 've got a '90 7M-GE engine in the car if it helps

Problem 1: The car won't start with the key, My mechanic (who is also my dad) rigged up a wire to touch on the positive batery terminal to start it up as long as the key isin and in the on position. I'm not sure if it's the starter though because sometimes it actually works on it's own.

Problem 2: Now that the car is on and driven after a short while, the damn thing turns off on it's freaking own. To avoid from the car shutting off i have to keep the engine's rpm's up by stepping on the gas, if i let it idle after the car warmed up it might idle a few seconds then die and ofcourse the embarassing process of putting it in neutral walking out of the car with the windows down because it locks and pop the hood blah blah blah wire get in and go. Me and my mechanic really can't figure this one out, if you can help me out i'd appreciate it.

Problem 3: Also the rear tends to sway a bit after hitting a bump. I haven't checked the rear right rim for loose nuts just yet because I really doubt thats the case. (But I really hope it is 'cause I'm friggen broke.) I'm guessing it's like a shock or something because just before the car started swaying the rear right corner would rattle a little longer if I hit a speed bump a little to fast.

Problem 4: My transmision sometimes doesn't get into gear. It's only two gears second and reverse. And it's not all the time just everyonce in a while. Hopefully theres a simpler fix than just replacing it with another tranny but if thats my only option i might just drive it till it dies completely. I hear transmisions are extremely epensive for the '86 model supras and well earning $8 an hour wont get me a new tranny soon at all.

Problem 5: Ok this one isn't too important, it's really more of a creature comfort sort of deal my gas tank and trunk levers don't work, i have to use a water bottle to jam in between the trunk and gas levers to walk out my car and open my gas door. My trunk, well thats jerry rigged so that i gotta pull down the backseat backrest reach in and pull on a cable.

Yeah it's alot of problems and they all sound pretty major except for the last ones but either way i'm not going to sell my car. I'm willing to drive it as is until she gives up on me if i have to shell out a great deal of money. give me a pm if you can possibly find me a stock turbo engine. (Only way O'll pay more is if I'm upgrading of course.)

SupraMario

I think it was the google
Mar 30, 2005
The Farm
1: it sounds like a major wiring problem, sence your "machanic" rigged it, this is probably cause another problem, one by a hays manual and redo the starting wiring or check for burnt or arching wiring.
2: need to be more spacific, is it jerking or sounds real rough, more details.
3:thats deffinatly a supension problem.
4:do you have a 5 speed or is it manual? if its a 5 speed, check your fluids first, then check your master and slave cylinders, orther wise its something internally wrong with the tranny. if its auto, ur belts might be loose on those gears. or u need to change ur tranny fluid.
5: lol i had this problem, ok open up the gas tank and look for a clip looking thingy its supposed to be bent quite at an > <-- that angle so when the gas door closes it locks in place and the > clip peice is being pushed down so when u pop the leaver for the gas door it releases the lock and that clip pushes the door open.
as for the hatch once you have the hays manual (u can get it from autozone like $21) recable the hatch back to where it pops the trunk.

well hope that helps more guys will post and u will prolly get better responces from them.

SupraMario

Mar 30, 2005
The Farm
GrimJack said:
#2 sounds like a vacuum leak. Check for rubber hoses that are brittle or cracked in the engine bay and replace them.

Sounds like D34DC311 already has you covered for the rest.

hmm vacum leak didnt think of that,but if it was, would he smell gas in the cabin of the car?

G

Got_Supra?

yeah that sounds about right, my old man mentioned it coulda been a vaccum after he left as far as the tranny buisness it's manual. and well next paycheck i'm takin g a trip to pepboys lol. thanks alot you've been alot of help!

G

Got_Supra?

actually i got one more question, about how much will fixing all this set me back? and is the vacume thing easily done? i may do it myself if it's a quick fix : /

SupraMario

Mar 30, 2005
The Farm
set you back a couple hours worth of labor. the tranny might be a little $$ if you do everything correct it might cost close to $700 thats fix tranny and new, suspension i would go after market and spend $500 on a good setup. but thats me, to tell you the truth u could get away with under $100 fix, if you do it yourself.

G

Got_Supra?

actully i might have someone who might get me a free tranny, lets see how that goes. I'd fix it myself but well i don't have access to a garage anymore heh.
I was wondering also when i turn on my car after leaving it off for a long time, say over night white smoke puffs out the exhaust, any help? Maybe it has something to do with the other problems, the smoke dies out after a few moments maybe i'm just making something out of nothing.