really quick, how do you get brake lines off

mkIIIman089

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Ohio
Hey guys, today I'm replacing my rotors pads and brake lines with stainless braided ones. Now, my problem is I cannot for the life of my get them off where they connect to the rest of the line. I feel as though the nut is just going to wear away to nothing before I get it out. Is there some trick to doing this? I don't really have very much time before I need the car so plz answer as soon as possible. Thanks!

souprat

Mar 30, 2005
fairfax VA
DO NOT USE AN OPEN END WRENCH. it will round off. i did that to a friends car because we didnt have a line wrench and now he drives around with 3 ss lines and one regular one. just get the line wrench on it, maybe alittle pb blaster.

mkIIIman089

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Ohio
Well, I found that out the hard way being the stubborn me that I am. I used an open ended wrench on everyone one of them. One escaped unrounded. But, visegrips seem to be working perfectly fine for all of them so I'm not too worried about it.

My next task is trying to find an impact gun strong enough to get the calipers off...

stratoayu

May 13, 2005
surrey
why do u need an impact gun... they really arnt on that strong. but the rachet on and hit it with a deadblow hammer a couple times... sometimes all u need is just a breaker bar... and i own a 89 supra turbo, and have owned a 87 n/a before, so im not just speaking out of my ass :p

Cz.

CAR > FAMILY
Mar 31, 2005
Seattle, WA
A hollow pipe works great as a breaker bar, I've used one many times. If you put your weight into it, you should be able to get pretty much anything loose.

mkIIIman089

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Ohio
I do have a breaker bar, but its way too long to get under the fender... I need like a mini one for this job. I had a small piece of pipe but It was Al and I snapped it, so now I need a new one.

billspreston01

Jun 2, 2005
North Carolina
mine's about 3 feet long, and I used it on the rears you just have to get it under the bumper. I also use a 1ft section of pipe. Greatest tools ever. The 'persuader' hahaha.

lagged

1991 1JZ
Mar 30, 2005
new rochelle
mkIIIman089 said:
I do have a breaker bar, but its way too long to get under the fender... I need like a mini one for this job. I had a small piece of pipe but It was Al and I snapped it, so now I need a new one.

use a wrench and a hammer.