Doing Head Gaket...need advice!

turbomk3

Apr 1, 2005
I am going to be doing my head gasket...i need to see if anyone has write ups for takeing all the stuff off and then how to do the repair, then how to reassemble...what else should i switch out too?...thanks for the help

souprat

Mar 30, 2005
fairfax VA
buy a TSRM from toyota. worth their weight in gold. i would have never gotten my car together after my hg job if it wernt for that. while i was in there i replaced the timing belt, and all hoses with silicon hoses. there is also a whole lot of other stuff you can do while you rin there, 550cc injectors, valves,valve springs, port and polish ect ect ect ect. i didnt do all that cuz i'm broke. oh well. tip: get a fishing tackle box and put all your nuts and bolts in there. all the little compartments are great for keeping things seperated and if you get some masking tape you can lable where everything came from. that way you wont have a box of leftover bolts when you are done and not know where they go.

turbomk3

Apr 1, 2005
got it guys thanks...what about teh cams...would i ahve to replace anything for doing that or just put in the new cam?

TONY!

Habitual Supra Killer
Mar 30, 2005
Tonyland
turbomk3 said:
...what about teh cams...would i ahve to replace anything for doing that or just put in the new cam?
If you are using different cams, or you can check anyways even if you are using your same original cams:

A valve adjustment clearance procedure (or whatever it is called exactly) is needed.
You are supposed to use a feeler gauge between the cam journal and the shim, and do that for each journal/valve.
The clearance specs (range) are also in the TSRM.

e90suprat

Mechanically challenged
May 8, 2005
Douglasville, GA
You could also just skip all the head work and just buy a rebuilt head, all the work is done for you. Of course everything would be stock, so if you're looking to upgrade, do it yourself.