SAFC questions after hooking up...

Disced

Pie + NYQuil = FTW
Apr 5, 2005
Edmonds, Wa
I have the SAFC II, 1st gen. I am pretty sure I hooked it up correctly, but I was reading that if you don't get a good solder, it could effect the voltage output to the safc. Anyways, my questions are:

1. The throttle % is always @ 0. It never goes up, no matter what I do in revving or anything. Did I wire something wrong?
2. The Pressure always is @ -760 mmHg... I unhooked the stock boost sensor because I thought it might be causing a leak; is this why it doesn't show any movement?
3. On a cold start, sometimes the car idles for a second and dies. I have to start it like 5-6 times, and then the check engine light stays on for about 4 minutes, and gives me a code 31. However, after the car is warmed up, I reset the codes, and got none. Does this mean my solders weren't very good, and I should re-solder them for better conductivity?

Last question, which really doesn't pertain to the safc.
Are you supposed to check codes with your car on or off?
If I check the codes with my car on, as soon as I rev it I get a code 51. However, if it is just sitting idling. Then I get no codes. What does this mean?

Thanks,
Disced

Mk3 TurboS

No not a "Turbo A"
Mar 31, 2005
Australia
It definately sounds like you haven't wired the AFM wire correct. From memory (im at work) its the only wire you have to cut and attach both ends to the supplied plug. Also double check the throttle position wire. Sounds like you have just had a bad day wireing. I didn't solder mine but used the criping things that were supplied. Make sure you Strip the wires real good before splicing the new ones onto them.

And yep You have to have your car OFF wen checking codes.

Disced

Pie + NYQuil = FTW
Apr 5, 2005
Edmonds, Wa
Thanks for the help.

I am going to double check everything right now.. since it is hella bright I can see now.

I will just un-solder and re-solder the two that don't work, then not put shit back in and turn the car on and see what type of voltage I get... Will make it much easier.

John Lunsford

Don't Bother Me
Mar 30, 2005
Asheville, NC
www.JBLMk3.com
Disced said:
I have the SAFC II, 1st gen. I am pretty sure I hooked it up correctly, but I was reading that if you don't get a good solder, it could effect the voltage output to the safc. Anyways, my questions are:

1. The throttle % is always @ 0. It never goes up, no matter what I do in revving or anything. Did I wire something wrong?
2. The Pressure always is @ -760 mmHg... I unhooked the stock boost sensor because I thought it might be causing a leak; is this why it doesn't show any movement?
3. On a cold start, sometimes the car idles for a second and dies. I have to start it like 5-6 times, and then the check engine light stays on for about 4 minutes, and gives me a code 31. However, after the car is warmed up, I reset the codes, and got none. Does this mean my solders weren't very good, and I should re-solder them for better conductivity?

Last question, which really doesn't pertain to the safc.
Are you supposed to check codes with your car on or off?
If I check the codes with my car on, as soon as I rev it I get a code 51. However, if it is just sitting idling. Then I get no codes. What does this mean?

Thanks,
Disced

Did you make sure that you connected the AFM to "THA" and set the afc for karman vortex? If you don't set it for karman vortex type AFM, it'll be just like you don't have it hooked up and you'll get an AFM code.
On the throttle, make sure it's hooked to VTA which is white with a red stripe if I remember correctly.
Here's a few wiring charts and ECU plugs that might help you identify them if you need it. http://www.jblmk3.com/id151.htm
It's from my Celica's section, but it's the same.

EDIT: I bet the answer to your question 3 is that karman vortex setting on the afc. That is exactly what the last one I installed did when I fogot to set it to kv. Turns out it was on hot wire type instead of kv. Reset it and it fixed it.