Which Gasket Set?

Justin

Speakers?
Mar 31, 2005
Spokane, Wa
I need to get a complete gasket set for an engine rebuilt.

The shop I had do all my work offered me two choices.

Fel-Pro - ~250

Top-Line - ~145.63

Over 100 dollars difference. I have no problem paying extra money for extra quality, but I've used a topline kit before with no problems at all, but I want to know if the Fel-Pro is worth the extra cash?

I'm going to be using a Comtec HG so that doesn't matter

Justin

Speakers?
Mar 31, 2005
Spokane, Wa
CtSupra said:
it doesn't matter. they're all the same. you can't go wrong with either one.

see, that's my thought as well... I honestly don't think there is a difference between a 300 dollar gasket set and a 140 dollar gasket set...
that's why I posted up, so if someone konws of a huge difference that would make it worth spending twice as much they'd englighten me (us)

once again, head gasket isn't part of the discussion.

Justin

Speakers?
Mar 31, 2005
Spokane, Wa
eh, too late, I already ordered the Fel-Pro...

hundred bucks... Rather not have to deal with leaks and shit after the engine is back in

oh well, we'll ee how it goes. I have to find a head first, the JDM engine had a warped head and my NA had a warped head.

ugh.

kamil

87T Targa
Apr 4, 2005
Tucson, AZ
Heck, full fel-pro sets go on ebay for ~140 all the time. I personally feel like the others, the only "gaskets" I'd really worry about are head gasket & maybe valve stem seals (of which vitons are the best). The other gaskets don't really see enough stress or wear to warrant needing exceptional quality.

Justin

Speakers?
Mar 31, 2005
Spokane, Wa
kamil said:
Heck, full fel-pro sets go on ebay for ~140 all the time. I personally feel like the others, the only "gaskets" I'd really worry about are head gasket & maybe valve stem seals (of which vitons are the best). The other gaskets don't really see enough stress or wear to warrant needing exceptional quality.

Help me find one quick! :)

I ordered one from the machine shop, like I mentioned, they quoted me 250... I might be able to cancel the order tomorrow....

macsupra76

May 17, 2005
Calgary AB
Toyota OEM engine rebuild kit is $350CND thats the one i got, i dont know if there is a difference in oem and aftermarket, but thats the one i got.

TONY!

Habitual Supra Killer
Mar 30, 2005
Tonyland
Of the three mentioned:

Toyota
I would say that Toyota is best because I have heard from creditable members that they make the best valve seals and that other makers' seals will leak. Btw, a certain member:D recently invited Champion Toyota to SM, and they accepted and are now here! So getting the premium gasket set from them gets you a savings of $160 compared to what my local dealer charges. For all the labor involve in a build, I would want to just go with the best I can. Labor is really the most expensive thing as far as building goes.

Fel-Pro
I would agree that Fel-Pro is also the next best out there (of all the manufactures out there that I know of). But I still would want the Toyota valve seals because of what I have heard. Also just knowing that they give you a cork oil pan gasket shows how much they know and reflects on their credibility and reputation, IMO.

Top Line
A machine shop owner once told me that Top Line is not actually a manufacturer, but that the company markets other manufacturers' products, then puts its own name (Top Line) on it. As an example, I bought Top Line bearings (that I plan on returning for Toyota ones), and the bearings say Kings on them, so those are made by Kings. (Once I seen King's stamped on there, that is when the machine shop owner explained why that is so.) I don't know who Top Line sources for their gasket sets though [assuming that they don't ever manufacture anything].

I am led to believe that for some gaskets, it is not really too important who makes them because a very well regarded friend of mine says he uses sealer for just about all his gaskets when he builds a motor. But then, there are other gaskets that you won't be using sealer on -- and that is where Toyota will stand above the other manufacturers.

I recently seen Adjuster say in SF that buying a gasket set is a waste of money. He was saying that in the future he would just use FIPG or the product called The Right Stuff in place of some gaskets. It really made me think, and I am wondering myself if I should go that route. If you think of it, it is like using FIPG or The Right Stuff instead of an oil pan gasket on the oil pan. So take that thinking/logic and apply it to some other parts of the engine.

From http://supraforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=294702&highlight=gasket
Adjuster said:
...BTW, I'll never buy a gasket kit again. Waste of money.
All you need are the cam seals, front and rear main seals and the oil pump drive seal. The only cut gaskets you need are the exhasust and intake manifold ones. EVERYTHING else can be done with "the right stuff" or similar sealer. (And if you use sealant everywhere a gasket went, you will never, ever have an oil or coolant leak at those points. Ever.) I've also used the sealant to make sure the TB does not leak, no problems yet, just don't use very much of it. (Thin is good when you have a close, flat metal to metal seal.)

Justin

Speakers?
Mar 31, 2005
Spokane, Wa
Justin727 said:
the reason i got the head set and bottom end set so cheap is because i work at O' Reilly's. btw american dollars toyota full engine gasket kit is about 330 shipped.
BTW Justin you made a good choice man!

I don't know what O' Reilly's is but is there anyway you could extend me that price? :)

Yeah, I figured since I am going all out on this I might as well spend the extra money and get the better of the two. only an extra 9 hours of work anyway :)

kamil

87T Targa
Apr 4, 2005
Tucson, AZ
Don't worry about it, I was just throwing information out there for someone else who might be in your boat! If you prefer peace of mind then you definitely made the right choice. I personally take risks once in a while and usually end up on top, but theres times that I get screwed and little shortcuts come back to bite me in the ass alot harder ;)